Vegas Hotels Hit With Lawsuit, Claiming Collusion Via Algorithm To Artificially Inflate Hotel Prices
January 27, 2023 7:16 pm
Tags: algorithm, artificially, claiming, collusion, hit, hotel, hotels, inflate, joshwho, Lawsuit, Media, News, prices, vegas, via, with?, ZeroHedge
Categories: JoshWho News news media US News ZeroHedge
A lawsuit filed in federal court in Nevada alleges hotel operators on the Las Vegas Strip colluded to overcharge visitors for rooms through an algorithm designed to artificially inflate prices above competitive levels, Las Vegas Review-Journal reported.
Caesars Entertainment, Treasure Island, Wynn Resorts Holdings, and MGM Resorts International were named in the suit for allegedly sharing a price algorithm to set hotel rates instead of making “independent pricing and supply decisions,” according to the lawsuit, filed Wednesday.
The operator of the algorithm, Rainmaker Group Unlimited, a revenue management firm owned by Cendyn Group, was also named as a defendant for allowing “algorithmic-driven price-fixing … at the expense of consumers and in violation of antitrust laws.”
Two people, one from Washington state and another in Florida, filed the lawsuit. Both stayed in the defendants’ hotel rooms and claimed the shared pricing data allowed hotel operators to “defy supply and demand dynamics.”
“Our antitrust attorneys have uncovered what appears to be an unlawful agreement in which Rainmaker collects and shares data between Vegas hotel competitors to unlawfully raise prices of hotel rooms,” plaintiffs’ attorney with Seattle-based law firm Hagens Berman wrote in a statement.
“What happens in Vegas will no longer stay in Vegas. We intend to expose the under-the-table deals perpetrated by these Vegas hotels, and we intend to hold them accountable,” the attorney continued.
The plaintiffs’ lawsuit quoted confidential witnesses, a Rainmaker executive and two former employees, who estimated 90% of Vegas hotels use Rainmaker’s algorithm.
Rainmaker “collects confidential price information from each of the hotel operators, and then tells them, through use of various algorithms, how to price,” the lawsuit alleged.
“The suit is the latest in a growing wave of antitrust cases to take aim at algorithmic models or data brokering services allegedly used to facilitate price coordination across an entire industry. The allegations echo dozens of recently filed suits hitting the country’s top residential landlords with similar claims,” Bloomberg said.
- Oregon Teacher Caught Asking Students To Describe Their Sexual Fantasies In Short Stories March 20, 2023
- EU Contagion Risk Spreads As CDS Market Puts Focus On Deutsche Bank March 20, 2023
- “That’s Not True”: President Biden Moves Toward The Evil Twin Family Defense March 20, 2023
- Bed, Bath And Beyond Bludgeoned Below A Buck, But Still Not Bankrupt March 20, 2023
- Xi Arrives In Moscow As Putin Says Both Facing “Fierce & Aggressive” United States March 20, 2023
- 85% Of Trump Supporters Think Protesting Against Arrest Is A Jan6-Style Trap March 20, 2023
- Populist Win: New Anti-Globalist Farmers Wins Even More Dutch Senators Than Expected, Are Largest Party March 20, 2023
- Gold Prices Reflect A Shift In Paradigm, Part 2 March 20, 2023
- Saudi King Invites Iranian President To Visit For 1st Time In 25 Years March 20, 2023
- Mayorkas Says Biden’s New Border Rules Leave Many Open Gaps March 20, 2023
- Democrats Worried Failed Stacey Abrams May Run for Office Again March 20, 2023
- A Bridge Between East And West: This New Rail Connection Is Crucial For Eurasia March 20, 2023
- What Follows US Hegemony March 19, 2023
- Best Used Cars Under $15,000 For Those Who Cannot Afford New March 19, 2023
- Biden DOJ Asks Supreme Court To Fast-Track Case That Could Reinstate Federal Gun Ban March 19, 2023
- Mike Wilson: “Why On Earth Did US Stocks Rally Last Week?” March 19, 2023
- Musk Blasts Biden After Prez Lies Twice About ‘3% Billionaire Tax’ March 19, 2023
- The Longer It Takes The Fed To “Go Big”, The Deeper The Damage Will Be, And The Bigger The “Big” Will Be March 19, 2023
- ‘Occupy Wall Street’ Redux March 19, 2023
- Leftist Parents Flee Florida As Gender Treatments For Children Made Illegal March 19, 2023
JoshWho TV News
- Nothing to display Yet Coming Soon...
Latest Hacked Sites
- Shopper+ - 878,290 breached accounts March 11, 2023In March 2023, "Canada's online shopping mall" Shopper+ disclosed a data breach discovered on a public hacking forum. The breach dated back to September 2020 and included 878k customer records with email and physical addresses, names, phone numbers and in some cases, genders and dates of birth.
- HDB Financial Services - 1,658,750 breached accounts March 11, 2023In March 2023, the Indian non-bank lending unit HDB Financial Services suffered a data breach that disclosed over 70M customer records. Containing 1.6M unique email addresses, the breach also disclosed names, dates of birth, phone numbers, genders, post codes and loan information belonging to the customers.
- Eye4Fraud - 16,000,591 breached accounts March 6, 2023In February 2023, data alleged to have been taken from the fraud protection service Eye4Fraud was listed for sale on a popular hacking forum. Spanning tens of millions of rows with 16M unique email addresses, the data was spread across 147 tables totalling 65GB and included both direct users of the service and what appears […]
- iD Tech - 415,121 breached accounts March 6, 2023In February 2023, the tech camps for kids service iD Tech had almost 1M records posted to a popular hacking forum. The data included 415k unique email addresses, names, dates of birth and plain text passwords which appear to have been breached in the previous month. iD Tech did not respond to multiple attempts to […]
- LBB - 39,288 breached accounts March 5, 2023In August 2022, customer data of the Indian shopping site "LBB" (Little Black Book) was posted to a popular hacking forum. The data contained over 3M records with 39k unique email addresses alongside IP and physical addresses, names and device information with the most recent data dating back to early 2019. LBB advised they believe […]
- GunAuction.com - 565,470 breached accounts March 2, 2023In December 2022, the online firearms auction website GunAuction.com suffered a data breach which was later discovered left unprotected on the hacker's server. The data included over 565k user records with extensive personal data including email, IP and physical addresses, names, phone numbers, genders, years of birth, credit card type and passwords stored in plain […]
- Convex - 150,129 breached accounts February 26, 2023In February 2023, the Russian telecommunications provider Convex was hacked by "Anonymous" who subsequently released 128GB of data publicly, alleging it revealed illegal government surveillance. The leaked data contained 150k unique email, IP and physical addresses, names and phone numbers.
- RealDudesInc - 101,543 breached accounts February 19, 2023In October 2022, the GTA mod menu provider RealDudesInc suffered a data breach that exposed over 100k email addresses (many of which are temporary guest account addresses). The breach also included usernames and bcrypt password hashes.
- Weee - 1,117,405 breached accounts February 8, 2023In February 2023, data belonging to the Asian and Hispanic food delivery service Weee appeared on a popular hacking forum. Dating back to mid-2022, the data included 1.1M unique email addresses from 11M rows of orders containing names, phone numbers and delivery instructions.
- LimeVPN - 23,348 breached accounts February 6, 2023In October 2020, the VPN provider LimeVPN suffered a data breach that exposed the personal information of tens of thousands of customers. The data included email, IP and physical addresses, names, phone numbers, purchase histories and passwords stored as salted MD5 hashes.
The Daily Caller
STEVE MILLOY: Biden Uses His First Veto To Sacrifice Americans’ Retirement Savings At The Altar Of ESGMarch 20, 2023'Aligning with the left’s environmental extremism'
Self-Described ‘Anti-Racist’ Author Says People Of Color Should ‘Get Away’ From White PeopleMarch 20, 2023'I’m a big believer in affinity space and affinity work'
Man Rides Moped Onto The Middle Of Soccer Field To Protest Fans Scaring His HorseMarch 20, 2023I love how this man went all-out for his horse
George Floyd Protesters Cash In On $9.25 Million In Settlement With Major CityMarch 20, 2023Philadelphia officially settled four federal lawsuits Monday, committing to give around 350 people a total of $9.25 million after police allegedly hurt them amid 2020 demonstrations following George Floyd’s killing, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. The group of lawsuits cited a June 1, 2020, incident in which Philadelphia police tear-gassed protestors en masse on the […]
REPORT: Kamala Harris Set To Extensively Campaign For Biden’s 2024 Run Despite Democratic CriticismsMarch 20, 2023Vice President Kamala Harris is reportedly set to campaign across the country as a part of President Joe Biden’s 2024 presidential bid despite criticisms from within her own party. Harris intends to travel to “urban centers of swing states to persuade Black voters, young people and other liberal constituencies” as part of the campaign effort, […]
‘Wild Things’ stars Kevin Bacon and Matt Dillon's sex scene was cut, director reveals whyMarch 20, 2023The director of "Wild Things" shared several behind the scenes secrets about the movie starring Kevin Bacon, Matt Dillon, Neve Campbell and Denise Richards.
2 Illinois teens die after sledding accident at Colorado ski resortMarch 20, 2023Two Illinois teenagers died after a sledding accident at a Colorado ski resort. The teenagers were on spring break when they launched off a large snowbank at the bottom.
Macron's government beats 2 no-confidence votes in French parliamentMarch 20, 2023The French government on Monday survived two no-confidence votes in the National Assembly as tensions continue flaring over centrist President Emmanuel Macron's pension reform plan.
New Arizona hotline sees few complaints about race-based lessonsMarch 20, 2023A new Arizona hotline has seen few complaints about race-based lessons, and has warranted an investigation. The Arizona Empower Hotline has been open since March 7.
EU, donors pledge $7.5B to Turkish, Syrian earthquake reliefMarch 20, 2023The European Union and international donors pledged Monday to donate $7.5 billion in relief money to earthquake-stricken Turkey and Syria.
Louisiana works out deal for family to keep pet nutriaMarch 20, 2023Louisiana officals worked out a deal for a family to keep a pet nutria in their home. The family is now allowed to apply for a permit to legally keep the nutria as a household pet.
Florida 's Burmese python population explodes, and USGS says it's 'likely impossible' to eradicate themMarch 20, 2023The U.S. Geological Survey released a paper on the Burmese python population in Florida, saying eradication of the snakes is likely impossible.
GOP lawmakers say they're 'getting to the truth' about Biden family payments from China: 'Reeks of corruption'March 20, 2023Rep. Elise Stefanik said the House investigation is "not political" and maintained that Republican lawmakers are seeking accountability and transparency.
Arizona man accused of assaulting woman at Phoenix airport: 'Do you want to die today?'March 20, 2023An Arizona man allegedly attacked a woman at a Phoenix airport over the weekend, authorities said.
California sheriff torches Newsom for leaving prison system in 'disarray,' planning to let murderers walk freeMarch 20, 2023Riverside County Sheriff Chad Bianco said California Gov. Gavin Newsom's goal of closing prisons is resulting in "hardened criminals" being released early.
Not calling people fat is 'inherently fatphobic' argues UVA lecturer: 'not a negative descriptor'March 20, 2023A lecturer at The University of Virginia told students that obesity is "mainly genetics" and claimed that avoiding the term "fat" is "inherently fatphobic."
Republicans torch Biden veto of bipartisan ESG bill: 'Good luck explaining this one'March 20, 2023President Biden's first veto of a bipartisan bill striking down his Labor Department's new ESG rule drew sharp rebukes from Republicans in Congress.
No handcuffs: Ex-prosecutor says Secret Service, NYPD could arrange polite Trump surrenderMarch 20, 2023A former prosecutor says former President Trump is unlikely to be handcuffed if he is indicted, and that he's more likely to coordinate with authorities on surrendering.
I almost died covering Russia's war against Ukraine. Here's how the news first came to my colleaguesMarch 20, 2023I was in Ukraine covering the Russia invasion for Fox News Media in 2022. Here's how my colleagues in Washington, D.C. and New York first learned about the terrible attack.
Ramaswamy calls looming Trump indictment ‘national disaster’ but urges against ‘protests in the streets’March 20, 2023Republican presidential candidate, who's a 2024 rival to former President Donald Trump, says it would be 'it would be a national disaster' if Trump's indicted but opposes street protests
- Inside the Tent Camp Housing Thousands of Migrant Children – ‘No Place for a Child’
Migrant children and families are sleeping shoulder to shoulder on mats in a Texas border facility designed for 250 people that is now holding more than 4,100, according to some of the first photographs to emerge from the crowded camp that has become a focal point of the Biden administration’s struggles to absorb thousands of […]
- Atl Suspect’s Fixation on Sex Is Familiar Thorn for Evangelicals
“Sex addiction” is not an established psychiatric diagnosis, and there is a debate in the mental health community about how to define and treat compulsive sexual behavior. “There’s no evidence-based treatment for sex addiction,” said Joshua Grubbs, an assistant professor of psychology at Bowling Green State University and a clinical psychologist. Evangelical sex addiction treatment […]
- Tom Cotton Mocks Social Justice Warriors at New York Times in CPAC Speech
Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR) on Friday mocked “social justice warriors” at the New York Times and their “meltdown” this summer over his op-ed in the paper calling for troops to restore order during the rioting at the time. Speaking on the first day of the Conservative Political Action Committee (CPAC) in Orlando, Florida, Cotton recalled how hundreds […]
- Congress Clears 2-Day Spending Extension to Finalize Stimulus Deal
Negotiators worked into Friday night to put the finishing touches on key details of the stimulus compromise, continuing negotiations on how long unemployment benefits should last, how to distribute federal relief for small businesses and the extension of a federal eviction moratorium. The plan was expected to revive the Paycheck Protection Program, a loan program […]
- SACRAMENTO Unemployment Scam Using Inmates Names Costing California Hundreds of Millions
SACRAMENTO — A rash of fraudulent pandemic unemployment claims filed under the names of jail and prison inmates, including more than 100 on death row, has bilked California out of hundreds of millions of dollars, a law enforcement task force said Tuesday. In a letter to Gov. Gavin Newsom, the task force, led by district […]
- Politics, Science and the Remarkable Race for a Corona Vaccine
WASHINGTON — The call was tense, the message discouraging. Moncef Slaoui, the head of the Trump administration’s effort to quickly produce a vaccine for the coronavirus, was on the phone at 6 p.m. on Aug. 25 to tell the upstart biotech firm Moderna that it had to slow the final stage of testing its vaccine […]
- Newsom Do as I Say, Not as I Dine Coronavirus Message
SAN FRANCISCO — It was an intimate meal in a wood-paneled, private dining room in one of California’s most exclusive restaurants. No one around the table wore masks, not the lobbyists, not even the governor. [Sign up for California Today, our daily newsletter from the Golden State.] Photos that surfaced this week of a dinner […]
- Donald Trump Shreds ‘Fake News Media’ in Series of Videos: ‘Not Reporting with Credibility Has Its Consequences’
Former President Donald Trump shredded the New York Times, the Washington Post, CNN, and MSNBC as “fake news media” in a series of videos shared to his Truth Social account and his campaign’s war room Twitter account on Wednesday. “The fake news media like CNN, MSDNC – which is sometimes referred to as MSNBC –the […]
- Media Ignore Physical Attack on Republican Gen. Don Bolduc
The establishment media have ignored the physical attack against Republican New Hampshire candidate Gen. Don Bolduc. The three top establishment newspapers, the New York Times, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times, all failed to report the physical attack on Gen. Bolduc that occurred moments before Wednesday’s debate with Democrat Maggie Hassan (D-NH). The media’s decision […]
- Sex Offender Thanks Ketanji Brown Jackson for Three-Month Prison Sentence: ‘She Knew This Was Going to Hold Me Back … So She Didn’t Really Want to Add on to That’
The registered sex offender who was given three months in prison by Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson, nominated for the Supreme Court by President Joe Biden, is speaking out and seemingly thanking the judge for her lenient sentence in his case. In 2013, Jackson sentenced then-19-year-old Wesley Hawkins to three months in prison, three months of […]
- 15 Media Personalities Claimed Hunter’s Laptop Emails Were Likely Russian Propaganda Before New York Times Admitted
Fifteen establishment media personalities claimed Hunter Biden’s laptop emails were likely Russian propaganda before the New York Times admitted it Wednesday. After nearly two years of dismissing Hunter’s tantalizing emails uncovered before the 2020 presidential election, the Times admitted the laptop was authentic, in direct contradiction of many in the Democrat-allied media. The media personalities seemingly went […]
- Covington Teen Nicholas Sandmann Settles $275 Million Defamation Lawsuit with NBC
Covington Catholic High School student Nicholas Sandmann announced Friday that he settled a $275 million defamation lawsuit against NBC. Neither party publicized the terms of the settlement. However, Sandmann asked for $275 million in damages in his lawsuit against NBC Universal and MSNBC. “At this time I would like to release that NBC and I […]
- Washington Post Columnist Calls on CNN to Correct Its Dossier Reporting — After WaPo Corrects Its Own
A Washington Post columnist criticized CNN for not correcting its reporting that the dossier put together by Fusion GPS and ex-British spy Christopher Steele — which claimed the Trump campaign was colluding with Russia — was “corroborated.” The paper’s media critic, Erik Wemple, wrote Friday that CNN hosts and reporters had long-claimed the Steele dossier had […]
- Washington Post ‘Forced to Admit They Lied’ After Pretending ‘F*ck Joe Biden’ Chant Was ‘Let’s Go, Brandon’
The Washington Post, the leftist legacy media outlet whose motto is “Democracy Dies in Darkness,” admitted to publishing fake news about the public’s discontent with floundering President Joe Biden. During a September speech by Donald Trump Jr. in Georgia, the crowd broke into a “F*ck Joe Biden” chant at the prompting of the former president’s […]
Cuban catcher Ivan Prieto Gonzalez defects from home country in Miami following World Baseball Classic - CBS SportsMarch 20, 2023
DeSantis Breaks Silence on Trump and Criticizes Manhattan D.A. - The New York TimesMarch 20, 2023
With possible indictment looming, Trump dominates House Republican retreat - NBC NewsMarch 20, 2023
France's government survives no-confidence votes and controversial pension reforms will move ahead - CNNMarch 20, 2023
First Republic Bank shares sink to another record low, but stock markets are calmer - NPRMarch 20, 2023
Student dead in shooting outside Lamar High School in Texas - NBC NewsMarch 20, 2023
Student athlete urges Supreme Court to keep West Virginia's anti-trans sports ban on hold - CNNMarch 20, 2023
Four Convicted of Obstruction on Jan. 6 in Final Oath Keepers Trial - The New York TimesMarch 20, 2023
Biden Issues First Veto to Protect Socially Conscious Investing - The New York TimesMarch 20, 2023
Wachusett Mountain skier dies after crashing into tree, another hurt in unrelated incident - CBS BostonMarch 20, 2023
LAUSD strike: Walkout looms as SEIU looking for higher wages, district loses round in legal battle to stop it - KABC-TVMarch 20, 2023
2 teenage boys die in sledding accident on spring break trip - ABC NewsMarch 20, 2023
Philadelphia to Pay $9.25 Million to Settle Suit by George Floyd Protesters - The New York TimesMarch 20, 2023
China's Xi visits Moscow; Russia cites 'monstrous consequences' of Putin arrest warrant: Ukraine live updates - USA TODAYMarch 20, 2023
Former Bowser Aide Accused Of Sexual Harassment - DCistMarch 20, 2023