US Navy Sailors Deserting At “Staggering” Rate Amid Mental Health Crisis
A troubling new statistic shows U.S. Navy desertions are soaring and may point to an even more significant issue of an emerging mental health crisis in the service.
NBC News reports the Navy has 342,000 active sailors. In 2021, there were 157 deserters, compared with 98 in 2020 and 63 in 2019. The total number of deserters who remain at large last year increased to 166 from 119 in 2019. Most of them were under the age of 25.
An expert who reviewed the federal statistics obtained by NBC described the trend as shocking.
“That’s staggering,” said Benjamin Gold, a defense attorney for U.S. service members.
Navy officials couldn’t explain what was causing the desertion rate to skyrocket. They pointed to “many different stressors” in the service.
Other military branches didn’t observe soaring desertions during the last several years. In fact, desertions in the Army and Marine Corps declined. The Coast Guard didn’t have any.
The average active-duty enlisted age was 21.6 years. Many at this stage in life don’t plan too far out and aren’t expecting harsh conditions upon joining the military. In fact, servicemen and women sign a multi-year contract that is nearly impossible to break. For a young person who joined the military and their expectations were immediately crushed, it’s near impossible to leave.
“It’s hard for a young person at that age to grasp the amount of power and control that their employer has over their lives,” said Rick Jahnkow, an organizer with the National Network Opposing the Militarization of Youth, a nonprofit group. “They don’t understand the commitment.”
The jump in desertions follows a string of deaths, many of which are suspected suicides, outlining rising mental health issues plaguing the service.
Over the last year, seven crew members of the USS George Washington aircraft carrier have died, including four by suicide.
This all suggests that youngsters who signed up for the military are locked in unbreakable contracts that some fear trapped if things don’t turn out the way they expected. This may cause them to become a deserter or, in extreme circumstances, take their own life.
- Author Matt Palumbo Lays Out How George Soros Has Significant Control Over Media Narratives July 1, 2022
- The Colossal Untapped Value Of Asteroids July 1, 2022
- What If People Actually Controlled The Government? July 1, 2022
- “Kicking Into High Gear” – A Record 42 Million Drivers Will Hit America’s Highways On July 4th Weekend July 1, 2022
- Poll: GOP Holds Same Generic Ballot Lead as Week Before Roe Overturned July 1, 2022
- Breitbart Business Digest: Biden’s Economy Sees Worst First Half for Stocks Since 1872 July 1, 2022
- Press Corps Blasts “Continued Efforts To Limit Access To The President” By The White House July 1, 2022
- “It Is Very Serious”: War And Weather Threaten To Send Food Prices Even Higher July 1, 2022
- Senator Cornyn, Republican Legislators Back Civics Bill That Could Push Critical Race Theory on Every Public School in America July 1, 2022
- “Worst Start Since 1788”: A Closer Look At The Catastrophic First Half Performance July 1, 2022
- As Chicago Crime Sends Businesses Packing, Scientists Create Algorithm To Detect In Advance July 1, 2022
- JPM Warns US “Perilously Close To Recession” As Atlanta Fed Slashes Q2 GDP To -2.1% July 1, 2022
- GM Reaffirms Full Year Guidance, Offers Updates On Supply Chain Snags And Q2 Sales July 1, 2022
- BIS To Allow Member Banks To Hold 1% Of Their Reserves In Bitcoin July 1, 2022
- Tchir: A Few Quick Long Weekend Thoughts July 1, 2022
- Cuellar: Asylum Seekers Should Remain in Mexico, Only 10-12% Who Get Asylum Should Be Allowed in July 1, 2022
- Poland Completes Belarus Border Wall To Repel Middle East And African Migrants July 1, 2022
- Blue State Blues: America Is Being Governed Like a Third World Country July 1, 2022
- Luongo: The G-7 Squawks But They’ve Already Lost The War Against Russia July 1, 2022
- The Great Reset In Action: Ending Freedom Of The Press, Speech, & Expression June 30, 2022
- 1,683,513 hits