Stocks & Bonds Sink As Post-Powell “Pain” Continues
Despite a smorgasbord of opinion on just what Jay Powell said on Friday – as “Powell Pivot” bulls desperately enter the various Kubler-Ross-ian stages of grief over their dead narrative – The Fed president’s words were unequivocally hawkish and that was reflected in more positioning adjustments today.
Financial Conditions have begun to tighten from their ridiculous easing shift… as per Powell’s plan (but there’s a lot more “pain” to come)…
The odds of a 75bps hike in September have risen to 75%…
As bond rate-hikes and rate-cuts shifted more hawkishly today…
Futures opened down hard extending Friday’s weakness, staged a slow recovery, dumped lower after the cash open, staged another comeback to get the S&P green (after Europe closed) briefly before sliding back…
The Nasdaq is down around 5% post-Powell.
The Dow found support today at its 50DMA and the S&P and Nasdaq traded between the 50- and 100-DMA…
Treasury yields were higher across the curve today with the mid- to long-end underperforming (2Y +3bps, 10Y +7bps). Post-Powell, the long-end is flat while the belly is notably higher in yield
The dollar gave back most of its overnight gains but managed to hold Friday’s hawkish spike returns…
Bitcoin tumbled back below $20,000 overnight but buyers stepped in…
Dr.Copper continued its slide lower…
NatGas was noisy amid idiotic comments on emergency plans from EU leaders…
Crude prices pushed higher amid Iraq headlines
Uranium extended its gains today as the Swiss join the Japanese and Germans in possibly maybe admitting the nuclear power is the solution…
Gold bounced back from overnight ugliness to close unchanged…
Finally, for a sense of just how far this de-risking could go, we note that STIRs never drank the ‘Pivot’ Kool-Aid and – just as we saw in the March equity squeeze- are likely to be the anchor of reality that stocks have to fall to for pain to slow…
Bear in mind that this drop in risk assets is what Powell needs – an actual tightening of financial conditions – and should dip-buyer step back in again on hopes that Powell’s “pain” will only last a brief moment, he will re-appear in his most hawkish suit and unleash reality once again until inflation (and speculative longs bank-rolls) are good and dead.
- Former Assistant City Attorney And Police Officer In Atlanta Charged In $7 Million PPP Fraud Scheme December 9, 2022
- 9 Million Millennials Moved Back In With Their Parents This Year December 9, 2022
- The Debate Between Gold & Bitcoin In 2023 December 9, 2022
- Stocks, Bonds, & Black Gold Battered In Ugly Week Ahead Of Fed December 9, 2022
- Putin Says He’s Open To More Prisoner Swaps With US December 9, 2022
- Musk Confirms Political Candidates Were Shadow Banned By Twitter’s Censors December 9, 2022
- UMich Sentiment Rebounds, Inflation-Expectations Tumble December 9, 2022
- Latest Class Action Against The New, Unwoke Twitter Alleges Company Disproportionately Fired Women December 9, 2022
- Price Of Christmas Trees Rising As Inflation Hits Home December 9, 2022
- Top French Central Banker Steps Down After Being Ensnared In Corruption Probe December 9, 2022
- Hungarian Inflation Spirals As Orban-Central Bank Rift Deepens December 9, 2022
- Arctic Blast Batters Europe As NatGas Prices Rise, Inventories Fall December 9, 2022
- Germany’s Massive Right-Wing Extremist Raid: Is It More Show Than Substance? December 9, 2022
- Elon Musk Calls out Sussmann, Perkins Coie for ‘Attempt to Corrupt a Presidential Election’ December 8, 2022
- Stanford’s Dr. Bhattacharya: Twitter ‘Harmed Science’ by Squelching Scientific Debate December 8, 2022
- Johnstone: I Don’t Want A Sci-Fi Future December 8, 2022
- Whitehead: The Constitution Has Already Been Terminated December 8, 2022
- Self-Service Kiosks Are Crawling With Fecal Bacteria: Study December 8, 2022
- Major Economic Contraction Coming In 2023… Followed By Even More Inflation December 8, 2022
- China Quietly Launches QE: Beijing Orders Large Insurers To Buy Bonds To Contain Selling Panic December 8, 2022
- Abandonia (2022) - 919,790 breached accounts December 7, 2022In November 2022, the gaming website dedicated to classic DOS games Abandonia suffered a data breach resulting in the exposure of 920k unique user records. This breach was in addition to another one 7 years earlier in 2015. The data contained email and IP addresses, usernames and salted MD5 hashes of passwords.
- Not Acxiom (unverified) - 51,730,831 breached accounts November 22, 2022In 2020, a corpus of data containing almost a quarter of a billion records spanning over 400 different fields was misattributed to database marketing company Acxiom and subsequently circulated within the hacking community. On review, Acxiom concluded that "the claims are indeed false and that the data, which has been readily available across multiple environments, […]
- GGCorp - 2,376,330 breached accounts November 8, 2022In August 2022, the MMORPG website GGCorp suffered a data breach that exposed almost 2.4M unique email addresses. The data also included IP addresses, usernames and MD5 password hashes.
- Lolzteam - 398,011 breached accounts November 6, 2022In May 2018, the Russian hacking forum Lolzteam suffered a data breach that exposed 400k members. The impacted data included usernames and email addresses which were later redistributed via another hacking forum. The data was provided to HIBP by a source who requested it be attributed to "ZAN @ BF".
- Doomworld - 34,478 breached accounts October 24, 2022In October 2022, the Doomworld fourm suffered a data breach that exposed 34k member records. The data included email and IP addresses, usernames and bcrypt password hashes.
- E-Pal - 108,887 breached accounts October 24, 2022In October 2022, the service dedicated to finding friends on Discord known as E-Pal disclosed a data breach. The compromised data included over 100k unique email addresses and usernames spanning approximately 1M orders. The data was subsequently distributed via a popular hacking forum.
- Wakanim - 6,706,951 breached accounts October 6, 2022In August 2022, the European streaming service Wakanim suffered a data breach which was subsequently advertised and sold on a popular hacking forum. The breach exposed 6.7M customer records including email, IP and physical addresses, names and usernames.
- Bhinneka - 1,274,340 breached accounts October 6, 2022In early 2020, the Indonesian consumer electronics website Bhinneka suffered a data breach that exposed almost 1.3M customer records. The data included email and physical addresses, names, genders, dates of birth, phone numbers and salted password hashes.
- TAP Air Portugal - 5,067,990 breached accounts September 23, 2022In August 2022, the Portuguese airline TAP Air Portugal was the target of a ransomware attack perpetrated by the Ragnar Locker gang who later leaked the compromised data via a public dark web site. Over 5M unique email addresses were exposed alongside other personal data including names, genders, DoBs, phone numbers and physical addresses.
- Brand New Tube - 349,627 breached accounts September 8, 2022In August 2022, the streaming website Brand New Tube suffered a data breach that exposed the personal information of almost 350k subscribers. The impacted data included email and IP addresses, usernames, genders, passwords stored as unsalted SHA-1 hashes and private messages.