Severe Thunderstorm Warning For Far North Queensland: Tropical Cyclone Expected
January 2, 2021 11:53 pm
Tags: Australia, Bureau of Meteorology, Queensland, thunderstorm, tropical cyclone, World
Categories: Australia Bureau of Meteorology Epoch Times JoshWho News Queensland thunderstorm tropical cyclone World
A severe weather warning has been issued for far north Queensland as a tropical cyclone is expected to develop in the Gulf of Carpentaria.
A tropical low is expected to intensify becoming a tropical cyclone on Sunday, according to a warning issued by the Bureau of Meteorology.
Severe thunderstorms with heavy rainfall and damaging winds are likely about areas of Northern Qld today due to a tropical low which is expected to reach category 1 cyclone intensity later today. Sev TS also possible throughout southern interior. pic.twitter.com/ZVPYIiYYW2
— Bureau of Meteorology, Queensland (@BOM_Qld) January 3, 2021
Meteorologist Matt Marshall said gale-force winds, abnormally high tides and large waves, as well as heavy rainfall leading to flash flooding, were expected from Mornington Island to Poormpuraaw.
The system is forecast to move towards the east-southeast, stalling over the Cape York Peninsula before moving towards the north tropical coast.
“The system’s going to move over to land and it’s going to weaken as it does so, but it’s going to hang around and bring some significantly heavy rainfall to the north tropical coast,” Marshall added.
A severe weather warning has been also issued for heavy rainfall leading to flash flooding over the next few days from Cooktown to Ingham as well as inland parts of the Cape York Peninsula.
The heavy rain is expected to continue on Monday and into Tuesday.
“Isolated falls of a few hundred millimetres are possible on each day in coastal areas,” Marshall said.
Severe thunderstorms are also expected across northern Queensland and the south-eastern interior on Sunday.
By Cheryl Goodenough
- Peter Schiff: The Fed Can’t Fight What It Doesn’t Understand February 6, 2023
- ‘Dr.Doom’ Warns “Increased Weaponization” Of The Dollar Threatens US Hegemony February 6, 2023
- Bed Bath & Beyond Belief: ‘Bankrupt’ Retailer Announces Billion-Dollar Stock/Warrant Offering February 6, 2023
- It Hurts When You Have To Chase the Market Rally February 6, 2023
- Adani Group Trims Capex, Founders Prepay Borrowings, Bond Sale Shelved To Restore Confidence February 6, 2023
- Watch: Rand Paul Slams “Very Very Weak” Biden For “Dithering For Days” Over Chinese Balloon February 6, 2023
- Turkey Halts Operations At Ceyhan Oil Terminal After Huge Earthquake February 6, 2023
- Welcome To The Death Spiral February 6, 2023
- As Panicked Hedge Funds Covered Tech Shorts At A Record Pace, They Were Piling New Shorts In This Sector February 6, 2023
- The EU Will Lag On AI For The Same Reason It Lost On Phones And EVs February 6, 2023
- Russia’s Oil And Gas Revenues Slump 46% Year-Over-Year February 6, 2023
- China Reopening Rally Hits A Stumbling Block February 6, 2023
- How The “Unvaccinated” Got It Right February 5, 2023
- Beyonce Breaks Record for Lifetime Grammy Wins, Thanks God and ‘Queer Community’ February 5, 2023
- East-Oregon Movement To Secede And Create ‘Greater Idaho’ Picks Up Steam February 5, 2023
- Non-Binary Pop Star Sam Smith Performs BDSM, Devil-Themed ‘Unholy’ at the Grammys February 5, 2023
- The New York Times Just Admitted That The West’s Anti-Russian Sanctions Are A Failure February 5, 2023
- Grammys 2023: Dave Chappelle Wins for ‘The Closer’ Despite Transgender Backlash February 5, 2023
- US Ban On Pot Users Owning Guns Ruled Unconstitutional February 5, 2023
- “Confidential Letters”: FTX Demands Politicians Return Millions In SBF Donations February 5, 2023
- LimeVPN - 23,348 breached accounts February 6, 2023In October 2020, the VPN provider LimeVPN suffered a data breach that exposed the personal information of tens of thousands of customers. The data included email, IP and physical addresses, names, phone numbers, purchase histories and passwords stored as salted MD5 hashes.
- Truth Finder - 8,159,573 breached accounts February 4, 2023In 2019, the public records search service TruthFinder suffered a data breach that later came to light in early 2023. The data included over 8M unique customer email addresses, names, phone numbers and passwords stored as scrypt hashes.
- Instant Checkmate - 11,943,887 breached accounts February 4, 2023In 2019, the public records search service Instant Checkmate suffered a data breach that later came to light in early 2023. The data included almost 12M unique customer email addresses, names, phone numbers and passwords stored as scrypt hashes.
- School District 42 - 18,850 breached accounts February 2, 2023In January 2023, Pitt Meadows School District 42 in British Columbia suffered a data breach. The incident exposed the names and email addresses of approximately 19k students and staff which were consequently redistributed on a popular hacking forum.
- Planet Ice - 240,488 breached accounts January 31, 2023In January 2023, the UK-based ice skating rink booking service Planet Ice suffered a data breach. The incident exposed the personal data of 240k people including email and physical addresses, phone numbers, genders, dates of birth and passwords stored as MD5 hashes. The data also included the names, genders and dates of birth of children […]
- KomplettFritid - 139,401 breached accounts January 23, 2023In January 2023, the online Norwegian store KomplettFritid was reported as having had a data breach dating back to February 2021. The incident exposed 140k customer records including physical, email and IP addresses, names, phone numbers and passwords. Most passwords were stored as bcrypt hashes with a small number appearing in plain text.
- Autotrader - 20,032 breached accounts January 23, 2023In January 2023, 1.4M records from the Autotrader online vehicle marketplace appeared on a popular hacking forum. Autotrader stated that the "data in question relates to aged listing data that was generally publicly available on our site at the time and open to automated collection methods". The data contained 20k unique email addresses alongside physical […]
- Zurich - 756,737 breached accounts January 22, 2023In January 2023, the Japanese arm of Zurich insurance suffered a data breach that exposed 2.6M customer records with over 756k unique email addresses. The data was subsequently posted to a popular hacking forum and also included names, genders, dates of birth and details of insured vehicles. The data was provided to HIBP by a […]
- DoorDash - 367,476 breached accounts January 7, 2023In August 2022, the food ordering and delivery service DoorDash disclosed a data breach that impacted a portion of their customers. DoorDash attributed the breach to an unnamed "third-party vendor" they stated was the victim of a phishing campaign. The incident exposed 367k unique personal email addresses alongside names, post codes and partial card data, […]
- SlideTeam - 1,464,271 breached accounts January 7, 2023In April 2021, the "world’s largest collection of pre-designed presentation slides" SlideTeam had 1.4M records breached and later published to a popular hacking forum the following year. Allegedly sourced from a compromised Magento instance, the data included names, email addresses and passwords stored as salted hashes.