Price Of Christmas Trees Rising As Inflation Hits Home
Authored by Ross Muscato via The Epoch Times (emphasis ours),
Consumers are spending more money to purchase real Christmas trees in 2022 than they did last year.
There is an abundance of Christmas trees available, but that hasn’t reduced the purchase price.
A survey of wholesale Christmas tree growers that the Real Christmas Tree Board released at the end of September foretold the price jump.
As reported in the survey, tree growing costs are up and a “majority of growers [71 percent] cited a likely wholesale price increase of 5 percent to 15 percent compared to last year, while 11 percent of respondents anticipated increasing their wholesale prices by a more modest amount: up to no more than 5 percent over last year.”
A segment, 11 percent of the respondents, “put their anticipated price increase at 6 percent to 10 percent more than last year.
“Only 5 percent expect their increase to hit 20 percent or more. Fewer than 2 percent of respondents said they don’t anticipate increasing their wholesale prices this year.”
Retailers of Christmas trees are affected by wholesale grower prices and other costs.
Husband and wife Matthew and Megan Krugger have owned Mistletoe Acres Tree Farm in East Bridgewater, Massachusetts, since 2012.
Mistletoe Acres offers pre-cut Christmas trees and also “choose-and-cut” trees. They are those growing in a field on the farm, and which either a customer, or a farm staffer, can cut down with a small hand saw.
This season Mistletoe Acres Tree Farm will sell close to 4,000 pre-cut—and in the neighborhood of 250–400 choose-and-cut Christmas trees. Choose-and-cut trees go fast at Mistletoe Acres—and none remain for 2022.
“Last year, we charged $15 per foot of height of the tree—and this year we are up to $16—even if we probably should charge more,” said Matthew Krugger.
“There are a lot of factors in a rise in price—among them a rise in the labor costs, with the minimum wage going up, and fertilizer and diesel fuel prices going through the roof.”
He said that diesel fuel, which this past summer increased in cost more than $6 a gallon, runs farm equipment and the trucks that transport trees to Mistletoe Acres—and that conflict overseas is having a cost impact in that Ukraine is a major global fertilizer producer.
Matthew Krugger said that a smart strategy in buying from Mistletoe Acres Tree Farm is to shop early.
“‘For that first week after Thanksgiving, our stock is almost exclusively of the highest quality, which the USDA grades as Premium—and which we sell this year for $16 a foot,” said Krugger.
“As we get closer to Christmas, a higher percentage of our stock is at a lesser quality grade … and the price for these trees is $16 a foot.”
Following Thanksgiving the farm is packed with people looking for the best tree, one that will stay freshest and most fragrant the longest, which he says helps families extend enjoyment of Christmastime and the holidays.
“During the weekend after Thanksgiving, we do have some people wondering if we have a $60 or $70 tree, and we don’t.”
Read more here…
- Escobar: Can You Smell What The Year Of The Rabbit Is Cooking? January 27, 2023
- Canada’s Bill C-26: Yet Another Government Power Grab January 27, 2023
- Visualizing Remittance Flows & GDP Impact By Country January 27, 2023
- Soaring Food Prices Prompt Eurasian Nations To Ban Food Exports January 27, 2023
- Vegas Hotels Hit With Lawsuit, Claiming Collusion Via Algorithm To Artificially Inflate Hotel Prices January 27, 2023
- China Is About To Become The Number 2 Exporter Of Passenger Vehicles In The World January 27, 2023
- Massive Short-Squeeze Sparks Surge In Stocks Despite Hawkish Shift In Rates January 27, 2023
- McDaniel Reelected As RNC Chair Despite DeSantis Calling For Change January 27, 2023
- Ronna McDaniel Clinches Fourth Term as RNC Chair January 27, 2023
- Watch: Leftist Talking Heads Claim Letting Trump Back On Facebook Will “Destroy Democracy” January 27, 2023
- Terrorist Kills 7, Wounds 10 in Jerusalem Synagogue Attack on International Holocaust Day January 27, 2023
- GRAPHIC WARNING – WATCH: Body Camera Footage of Paul Pelosi Attack Released January 27, 2023
- Europe Is Diversifying Its Diesel Sources Ahead Of Ban On Russian Fuel January 27, 2023
- “The Bot Is Out There. It Doesn’t Feel Pity, Or Remorse, Or Fear, And It Absolutely Will Not Stop Until Your Job Is Dead” January 27, 2023
- Pending Home Sales Suffered Worst Annual Decline Ever In 2022, Despite December Surge January 27, 2023
- The Race To The Bottom Accelerates January 27, 2023
- Blackstone President Says BREIT Still Has “Backlog” Of Redemption Requests January 27, 2023
- Europe’s Energy Crisis Leaves Almost All Of Pakistan Without Power January 27, 2023
- Georgia’s Mikheil Saakashvili – “America’s Guy” – Is Racing The Clock January 27, 2023
- Schiff: Trump, House GOP Who Voted Not to Certify 2020 Election Are the ‘Principal Threat to Our Country’ January 27, 2023
- KomplettFritid - 139,401 breached accounts January 23, 2023In January 2023, the online Norwegian store KomplettFritid was reported as having had a data breach dating back to February 2021. The incident exposed 140k customer records including physical, email and IP addresses, names, phone numbers and passwords. Most passwords were stored as bcrypt hashes with a small number appearing in plain text.
- Autotrader - 20,032 breached accounts January 23, 2023In January 2023, 1.4M records from the Autotrader online vehicle marketplace appeared on a popular hacking forum. Autotrader stated that the "data in question relates to aged listing data that was generally publicly available on our site at the time and open to automated collection methods". The data contained 20k unique email addresses alongside physical […]
- Zurich - 756,737 breached accounts January 22, 2023In January 2023, the Japanese arm of Zurich insurance suffered a data breach that exposed 2.6M customer records with over 756k unique email addresses. The data was subsequently posted to a popular hacking forum and also included names, genders, dates of birth and details of insured vehicles. The data was provided to HIBP by a […]
- DoorDash - 367,476 breached accounts January 7, 2023In August 2022, the food ordering and delivery service DoorDash disclosed a data breach that impacted a portion of their customers. DoorDash attributed the breach to an unnamed "third-party vendor" they stated was the victim of a phishing campaign. The incident exposed 367k unique personal email addresses alongside names, post codes and partial card data, […]
- SlideTeam - 1,464,271 breached accounts January 7, 2023In April 2021, the "world’s largest collection of pre-designed presentation slides" SlideTeam had 1.4M records breached and later published to a popular hacking forum the following year. Allegedly sourced from a compromised Magento instance, the data included names, email addresses and passwords stored as salted hashes.
- Twitter (200M) - 211,524,284 breached accounts January 5, 2023In early 2023, over 200M records scraped from Twitter appeared on a popular hacking forum. The data was obtained sometime in 2021 by abusing an API that enabled email addresses to be resolved to Twitter profiles. The subsequent results were then composed into a corpus of data containing email addresses alongside public Twitter profile information […]
- Deezer - 229,037,936 breached accounts January 2, 2023In late 2022, the music streaming service Deezer disclosed a data breach that impacted over 240M customers. The breach dated back to a mid-2019 backup exposed by a 3rd party partner which was subsequently sold and then broadly redistributed on a popular hacking forum. Impacted data included 229M unique email addresses, IP addresses, names, usernames, […]
- Benchmark - 93,343 breached accounts January 1, 2023In November 2019, the Serbian technology news website Benchmark suffered a breach of its forum that exposed 93k customer records. The breach exposed IP and email addresses, usernames and passwords stored as salted MD5 hashes. A forum administrator subsequently advised that the breach was due to the forum previously running on an outdated vBulletin instance. […]
- Gemini - 5,274,214 breached accounts December 16, 2022In late 2022, data allegedly taken from the Gemini crypto exchange was posted to a public hacking forum. The data consisted of email addresses and partial phone numbers, which Gemini later attributed to an incident at a third-party vendor (the vendor was not named). The data was provided to HIBP by a source who requested […]
- CoinTracker - 1,557,153 breached accounts December 12, 2022In December 2022, the Crypto & NFT taxes service CoinTracker reported a data breach that impacted over 1.5M of their customers. The company later attributed the breach to a compromise SendGrid in an attack that targeted multiple customers of the email provider. The breach exposed email addresses and partially redacted phone numbers, with CoinTracker advising […]