Musk Warns Twitter Users Are “Being Manipulated”, Company’s Legal Team Reaches Out
May 15, 2022 8:11 pm
Tags: are, being, company’s, joshwho, Legal, manipulated”,, Media, musk, News, Out, reaches, team, Twitter, users, warns, ZeroHedge
Categories: JoshWho News news media US News ZeroHedge
Elon Musk warned Twitter users that they are “being manipulated” and told them to turn off the platform’s algorithmic newsfeed, coming as the firm’s legal department apparently said he committed a violation of a non-disclosure agreement.
“You are being manipulated by the algorithm in ways you do not realize … Easy to switch back and forth to see the difference,” Musk wrote on Twitter. The Tesla CEO advised other users to switch to seeing the latest Twitter posts immediately by tapping the Twitter home button, tapping the stars button on the upper right of the screen, and selecting “latest tweets.”
Very important to fix your Twitter feed:
1. Tap home button.
2. Tap stars on upper right of screen.
3. Select “Latest tweets”.
You are being manipulated by the algorithm in ways you don’t realize.
Easy to switch back & forth to see the difference.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) May 14, 2022
“I am not suggesting malice in the algorithm, but rather that it is trying to guess what you might want to read and, in doing so, inadvertently manipulate/ amplify your viewpoints without you realizing this is happening,” Musk continued in another post.
Musk announced his intentions to purchase Twitter on April 25 as he criticized the firm’s content moderation policies. Both he and Twitter said that Musk would attempt to purchase the firm for $44 billion, allowing him to take the platform private after the purchase.
But on May 13, the deal appeared to be on thin ice after Musk posted that the agreement was “on hold” after reports said that bots and automated accounts make up fewer than 5 percent of the overall users. Hours later, Musk confirmed that he is still committed to the purchase.
“Twitter (TWTR) legal just called to complain that I violated their NDA by revealing the bot check sample size is 100!” the billionaire wrote on Saturday, referring to a study on bots.
Musk posted early Sunday that he’s not seen any analysis that suggests that bots comprise fewer than 5 percent of Twitter accounts.
He later said that “there is some chance it might be over 90 percent of daily active users.”
Meanwhile, Musk confirmed last week that he would allow President Donald Trump to return to Twitter after the deal is finished, although Trump has said he wouldn’t return to Twitter because he wants to stay on his Truth Social venture.
“I am not going on Twitter, I am going to stay on Truth,” Trump told Fox News in April. “I hope Elon buys Twitter because he’ll make improvements to it, and he is a good man, but I am going to be staying on Truth.”
- UK Summons Chinese Ambassador Over Beating Of BBC Journalist December 2, 2022
- November Payrolls Preview: A Miss Will Be Good For Stocks But A Huge Miss Means Recession December 2, 2022
- America To Unveil World’s First Sixth-Generation Bomber Friday December 1, 2022
- Why Is Booz Allen Renting Us Back Our Own National Parks? December 1, 2022
- Congress Adds $45 Billion To 2023 Military Budget December 1, 2022
- San Francisco Approves Lethal Police Robots After ‘Unhinged’ Board Of Supervisors Hearing December 1, 2022
- White House “Isn’t Taking A Side” On Cause Of Anti-Lockdown Protests In China December 1, 2022
- Lava Flows From Mauna Loa Volcano Could Reach Major Hawaii Highway “In Days” December 1, 2022
- This Is Of Course Insane December 1, 2022
- Here Are The Best And Worst Performing Assets In November And YTD December 1, 2022
- Railroaders Say Morale, Quality-Of-Life At All-Time Low December 1, 2022
- GOP Senators Say They Will Block Military Funding Unless Vaccine Mandate Scrapped December 1, 2022
- Court Rejects Joe Biden Push to Remove Block on Student Debt Transfer Program December 1, 2022
- Continuing Jobless Claims Hit 10-Month Highs As Layoffs Exploded In November December 1, 2022
- Schiff: Fed Soft Pivot In Play; Markets Ignore Powell’s Hawkish Talk December 1, 2022
- Fed’s Favorite Inflation Signal Dips (Holds Near 40 Year Highs) As Savings Rate Crashed December 1, 2022
- EU Threatens to Ban Twitter Over Elon Musk’s Free Speech Plans December 1, 2022
- Biden Admin Pledges $53 Million To Help Restore Ukraine’s Damaged Power Grid December 1, 2022
- EU Threatens Musk With Twitter Ban Over Content Moderation December 1, 2022
- ‘Operation Pelican’: Details Of UK’s Secret Op To Seize Assange Revealed December 1, 2022
- Not Acxiom (unverified) - 51,730,831 breached accounts November 22, 2022In 2020, a corpus of data containing almost a quarter of a billion records spanning over 400 different fields was misattributed to database marketing company Acxiom and subsequently circulated within the hacking community. On review, Acxiom concluded that "the claims are indeed false and that the data, which has been readily available across multiple environments, […]
- GGCorp - 2,376,330 breached accounts November 8, 2022In August 2022, the MMORPG website GGCorp suffered a data breach that exposed almost 2.4M unique email addresses. The data also included IP addresses, usernames and MD5 password hashes.
- Lolzteam - 398,011 breached accounts November 6, 2022In May 2018, the Russian hacking forum Lolzteam suffered a data breach that exposed 400k members. The impacted data included usernames and email addresses which were later redistributed via another hacking forum. The data was provided to HIBP by a source who requested it be attributed to "ZAN @ BF".
- Doomworld - 34,478 breached accounts October 24, 2022In October 2022, the Doomworld fourm suffered a data breach that exposed 34k member records. The data included email and IP addresses, usernames and bcrypt password hashes.
- E-Pal - 108,887 breached accounts October 24, 2022In October 2022, the service dedicated to finding friends on Discord known as E-Pal disclosed a data breach. The compromised data included over 100k unique email addresses and usernames spanning approximately 1M orders. The data was subsequently distributed via a popular hacking forum.
- Wakanim - 6,706,951 breached accounts October 6, 2022In August 2022, the European streaming service Wakanim suffered a data breach which was subsequently advertised and sold on a popular hacking forum. The breach exposed 6.7M customer records including email, IP and physical addresses, names and usernames.
- Bhinneka - 1,274,340 breached accounts October 6, 2022In early 2020, the Indonesian consumer electronics website Bhinneka suffered a data breach that exposed almost 1.3M customer records. The data included email and physical addresses, names, genders, dates of birth, phone numbers and salted password hashes.
- TAP Air Portugal - 5,067,990 breached accounts September 23, 2022In August 2022, the Portuguese airline TAP Air Portugal was the target of a ransomware attack perpetrated by the Ragnar Locker gang who later leaked the compromised data via a public dark web site. Over 5M unique email addresses were exposed alongside other personal data including names, genders, DoBs, phone numbers and physical addresses.
- Brand New Tube - 349,627 breached accounts September 8, 2022In August 2022, the streaming website Brand New Tube suffered a data breach that exposed the personal information of almost 350k subscribers. The impacted data included email and IP addresses, usernames, genders, passwords stored as unsalted SHA-1 hashes and private messages.
- START - 7,455,386 breached accounts August 30, 2022In August 2022, news broke of an attack against the Russian streaming service "START". The incident led to the exposure of 44M records containing 7.4M unique email addresses. The impacted data also included the subscriber's country and password hash. START subsequently acknowledged the incident in a Telegram post and stated that the data dated back […]