Hunger In Africa: The Situation Is Serious
278 million people in Africa suffer from chronic hunger.
As Statista’s Martin Armstrong details below, this corresponds to 20 percent of the continent’s population. By comparison, ten percent are affected when looked at globally.
You will find more infographics at Statista
According to Welthungerhilfe, the main drivers of hunger include wars, climate change and the Covid-19 pandemic.
Most recently, the Russian attack on Ukraine further exacerbated food supply problems. Even before that though, the situation in many African countries was serious, as this map based on the 2021 World Hunger Index illustrates.
The index “annually measures and compares the severity of hunger and malnutrition in the world, different regions and individual countries.”
The situation is particularly dire in Somalia, with seven other countries rated as “very serious” – Chad, the Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan, Burundi, the Central African Republic the Comoros and Madagascar.
Only a handful of countries can be classified as “low” or “moderate” on the severity scale.
- US Says Russian Athletes Should Compete Under Neutral Flag At Olympics, Resists Ban February 4, 2023
- From EMP-Delivery To Nuke-Mapping: Potential Purposes Of China’s High-Altitude Invasion February 4, 2023
- Watch: US Fighter Jets Shoot Down Chinese Spy Balloon Off Carolinas February 4, 2023
- Victor Davis Hanson: ‘Race’ Everywhere February 3, 2023
- Pentagon: Another Chinese Spy Balloon Flying over Latin America February 3, 2023
- Charting Three Decades Of The World’s Working Poor February 3, 2023
- Democrats Propose Abraham Lincoln Statue Removal February 3, 2023
- How Will AI Change Our Lives? February 3, 2023
- Councilwoman Fatally Shot Outside New Jersey Home Was ‘Targeted’ February 3, 2023
- Sales Of $10 Million-Plus Homes In Brooklyn Reach A Record In 2022 February 3, 2023
- Secret CCP Overseas Police Station In NYC Closed After Reported FBI Raid February 3, 2023
- Jim Jordan Subpoenas Garland, Wray Over School Board Memo Used Against ‘Domestic Terrorist’ Parents February 3, 2023
- Visualizing Global 2023 GDP Growth Forecasts By Country February 3, 2023
- 368 Arrested, 131 Rescued In California Sex Trafficking Operation February 3, 2023
- ChatGPT Maker OpenAI Releases Tool To Check If Text Was Written By A Human February 3, 2023
- Donald Trump Warns of Chinese Spies Everywhere in America February 3, 2023
- NYT Claims Russian Troop Deaths Nearing 200K, Far Surpassing All Prior Estimates February 3, 2023
- Exclusive — Montana Rep. Ryan Zinke on Chinese Spy Balloon: ‘An Embarrassment We Took No Action’ February 3, 2023
- More Recession Signs: Money Supply Growth Went Negative Again In December February 3, 2023
- Watch: Democrats Oppose Amendment To Recite Pledge Of Allegiance; Label Republicans “Insurrectionists” February 3, 2023
- Truth Finder - 8,159,573 breached accounts February 4, 2023In 2019, the public records search service TruthFinder suffered a data breach that later came to light in early 2023. The data included over 8M unique customer email addresses, names, phone numbers and passwords stored as scrypt hashes.
- Instant Checkmate - 11,943,887 breached accounts February 4, 2023In 2019, the public records search service Instant Checkmate suffered a data breach that later came to light in early 2023. The data included almost 12M unique customer email addresses, names, phone numbers and passwords stored as scrypt hashes.
- School District 42 - 18,850 breached accounts February 2, 2023In January 2023, Pitt Meadows School District 42 in British Columbia suffered a data breach. The incident exposed the names and email addresses of approximately 19k students and staff which were consequently redistributed on a popular hacking forum.
- Planet Ice - 240,488 breached accounts January 31, 2023In January 2023, the UK-based ice skating rink booking service Planet Ice suffered a data breach. The incident exposed the personal data of 240k people including email and physical addresses, phone numbers, genders, dates of birth and passwords stored as MD5 hashes. The data also included the names, genders and dates of birth of children […]
- KomplettFritid - 139,401 breached accounts January 23, 2023In January 2023, the online Norwegian store KomplettFritid was reported as having had a data breach dating back to February 2021. The incident exposed 140k customer records including physical, email and IP addresses, names, phone numbers and passwords. Most passwords were stored as bcrypt hashes with a small number appearing in plain text.
- Autotrader - 20,032 breached accounts January 23, 2023In January 2023, 1.4M records from the Autotrader online vehicle marketplace appeared on a popular hacking forum. Autotrader stated that the "data in question relates to aged listing data that was generally publicly available on our site at the time and open to automated collection methods". The data contained 20k unique email addresses alongside physical […]
- Zurich - 756,737 breached accounts January 22, 2023In January 2023, the Japanese arm of Zurich insurance suffered a data breach that exposed 2.6M customer records with over 756k unique email addresses. The data was subsequently posted to a popular hacking forum and also included names, genders, dates of birth and details of insured vehicles. The data was provided to HIBP by a […]
- DoorDash - 367,476 breached accounts January 7, 2023In August 2022, the food ordering and delivery service DoorDash disclosed a data breach that impacted a portion of their customers. DoorDash attributed the breach to an unnamed "third-party vendor" they stated was the victim of a phishing campaign. The incident exposed 367k unique personal email addresses alongside names, post codes and partial card data, […]
- SlideTeam - 1,464,271 breached accounts January 7, 2023In April 2021, the "world’s largest collection of pre-designed presentation slides" SlideTeam had 1.4M records breached and later published to a popular hacking forum the following year. Allegedly sourced from a compromised Magento instance, the data included names, email addresses and passwords stored as salted hashes.
- Twitter (200M) - 211,524,284 breached accounts January 5, 2023In early 2023, over 200M records scraped from Twitter appeared on a popular hacking forum. The data was obtained sometime in 2021 by abusing an API that enabled email addresses to be resolved to Twitter profiles. The subsequent results were then composed into a corpus of data containing email addresses alongside public Twitter profile information […]