Germany Prohibits Chinese Takeover Of 2 Semiconductor Chipmakers, Citing Security Concerns
November 11, 2022 2:54 am
Tags: Chinese, chipmakers,, citing, concerns, Germany, joshwho, Media, News, prohibits, Security, semiconductor, takeover,, ZeroHedge
Categories: JoshWho News news media US News ZeroHedge
Authored by Katabella Roberts via The Epoch Times,
Germany’s government blocked on Nov. 9 the sale of two domestic semiconductor factories to Chinese-owned companies, citing security concerns.
“We have prohibited a non-Union investor from entering into business ventures in Germany,” Economy Minister Robert Habeck told reporters in front of the German chancellor’s office on Nov. 9.
Habeck noted that the decision came because the “security of order in Germany must be protected and critical production areas require special protection.”
Elmos Semiconductor, which makes chips for the automotive industry, was barred from selling its factory in Dortmund, Germany, to Silex, a Swedish subsidiary of China’s Sai Microelectronics.
In a Nov. 7 statement, Elmos stated that it had been warned by the German Economy Ministry that the sale to Silex would likely be prohibited, noting that this was a “recent development.”
The company said it would examine the details after receiving the decision and decide on what further steps to take.
Silex announced in December 2021 that it had signed a sale and purchase agreement with Elmos to buy the factory for 85 million euros ($85.4 million), with the transaction expected to close in the second half of 2022, subject to customary closing conditions and regulatory approvals.
Rising Security Concerns
The decision by Germany’s government comes amid rising concerns over European countries’ dependence on Beijing and concerns that Chinese investment in its critical infrastructure could leave it exposed to national and economic security issues, as well as to political pressure from the Chinese communist regime.
Semiconductors are an essential component in everything from electronic devices such as mobile phones to electric vehicles.
Earlier this year, the European Union unveiled a multibillion-euro “Chips Act” aimed at bolstering Europe’s competitiveness and resilience in semiconductor technologies and applications and reducing its dependence on supplies from Asia.
“We must look very closely at company takeovers when it relates to important infrastructure or when there is a danger that the technology would flow to buyers from non-EU countries,” Habeck said, according to local reports.
He also noted that the sale of a second company had been turned down by the government, but he didn’t name the companies involved, citing “trade secrets.”
However, Germany’s minister for research, Bettina Stark-Watzinger, revealed the company to be Bavaria-based ERS Electronic, according to local reports. According to its official website, ERS Electronic supplies thermal wafer test technology to the semiconductor industry.
It’s unclear which Chinese company was interested in buying the German firm.
ERS Electronic hasn’t publicly commented on the matter. Company officials didn’t respond to a request by The Epoch Times for comment by press time.
Germany’s decision to halt the sale of the semiconductor factories comes as the country is facing a recession that has been further exacerbated by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and the subsequent energy crisis.
Last week, German Chancellor Olaf Scholz met with Chinese leader Xi Jinping for a meeting that focused on business ties between the two nations as Germany’s relationship with Russia continues to deteriorate.
- Recession Alert: Record Number Of Americans Worse-Off Financially June 2, 2023
- FBI To Finally Hand Over Biden Corruption Docs Under Threat Of Contempt June 2, 2023
- Native-Born Workers Tumble By 369K, As Foreign-Born Workers Soar To Record High June 2, 2023
- Glamour Magazine Puts Pregnant Transgender ‘Man’ on June Cover for Pride Month June 2, 2023
- Labor Market Still Overheating: U.S. Economy Added 339,000 Jobs in May, Smashing Expectations June 2, 2023
- May Payrolls Soar By 339K Blowing Away Highest Estimate Even As People Employed Actually Tumble By 310K June 2, 2023
- Trans Babies? Health Centre Asks Parents if Their Newborns Are Transgender or Non-Binary June 2, 2023
- May Non-Farm Payrolls Data Isn’t So Much About Headline Print June 2, 2023
- China Property Bailout Rumors Send Global Markets Higher June 2, 2023
- These Are The Most ‘Over-Touristed’ Cities In Europe June 2, 2023
- CDC Data Show ‘Most Important Virus You’ve Never Heard Of’ Surged This Spring June 2, 2023
- “Migrants Will Soon Be The Powerful” – German Broadsheet Causes Uproar With Immigration Article June 2, 2023
- Escobar: The Sultan 2.0 Will Heavily Tilt East June 1, 2023
- Senate Rubber Stamps Debt Ceiling Band-Aid; Biden To Sign Into Law ‘As Soon As Possible’ June 1, 2023
- How The FBI Lost, Found, And Rewarded The Alleged Russian Spy Pivotal To Surveilling Trump June 1, 2023
- Shellenberger: Why The Media Is Attacking Free Speech June 1, 2023
- Biden Speech Hailing NATO Strength Overshadowed By Serious Fall On Stage June 1, 2023
- San Francisco Mayor Makes U-Turn To Fund Police After Company Exodus Pressures City Finances June 1, 2023
- Zelensky Miffed Over NATO Inaction, Demands Membership & Security Guarantees ‘Now’ June 1, 2023
- Joe Biden Takes Huge Fall on Stage at Air Force Academy Graduation June 1, 2023
JoshWho TV News
A fed gets recognized at staged Patriot Front march #FBI #DOJMay 16, 2023A fed gets recognized and called out at their staged Patriot Front march #FBI #DOJ https://t.co/vk9JEAQesK ...
President Trump CNN Town Hall 2023 FullMay 11, 2023
JoshWho - 🚨👀‼️ Jose Vega @JosBtrigga SNAPS at all the media including @nytimes that @TuckerCarlson was fired and Julian Assange is in detention for 'DOING YOUR JOB''. WATCH..EXP...April 27, 2023🚨👀‼️ Jose Vega @JosBtrigga SNAPS at all the media including @nytimes that @TuckerCarlson was fired and Julian Assange is in detention for 'D ...
The Government Says Business Cards Are Machine GunsApril 27, 2023So the ATF has now found two men guilty of selling key cards, claiming they are “machine guns” and they are facing life in prison. Let’s take a ...
Tucker Carlson - Good eveningApril 27, 2023Good evening https://t.co/SPrsYKWKCE ...
Md Asif Khan - Warning : Graphic Content. Atiq Ahmed and his brother Ashraf shot dead while talking to media in persence of police. #AtiqueAhmedApril 16, 2023Warning : Graphic Content. Atiq Ahmed and his brother Ashraf shot dead while talking to media in persence of police. #AtiqueAhmed https://t.co/wMT ...
Tucker: Criminals are now a protected classApril 4, 2023Fox News host Tucker Carlson shreds Alvin Bragg for his approach to the justice system and indictment of Trump on 'Tucker Carlson Tonight.' Subscribe ...
TRUMP RALLY : President Trump Holds First 2024 Campaign RallyMarch 25, 2023
Parents charged after boy found in cage inside Philadelphia homeMarch 25, 2023
Raw Police Body Worn Camera Footage From January 6 Capitol AttackMarch 20, 2023Video from body camera worn by a Metropolitan Police Department officer on Jan. 6, 2021 during the attack on the U.S. Capitol ...
Latest Hacked Sites
- RaidForums - 478,604 breached accounts May 31, 2023In May 2023, 478k user records from the now defunct hacking forum known as "RaidForums" was posted to another hacking forum. The data dated back to September 2020 and included email addresses, usernames, dates of birth, IP addresses and passwords stored as Argon2 hashes. The data was provided to HIBP by a source who requested […]
- Polish Credentials - 1,204,870 breached accounts May 30, 2023In May 2023, a credential stuffing list of 6.3M Polish email address and password pairs appeared on a local forum. Likely obtained by malware running on victims' machines, each record included an email address and plain text password alongside the website the credentials were used on. The data included 1.2M unique email addresses.
- Luxottica - 77,093,812 breached accounts May 19, 2023In March 2021, the world's largest eyewear company Luxoticca suffered a data breach via one of their partners that exposed the personal information of more than 70M people. The data was subsequently sold via a popular hacking forum in late 2022 and included email and physical addresses, names, genders, dates of birth and phone numbers. […]
- RentoMojo - 2,185,697 breached accounts May 10, 2023In April 2023, the Indian rental service RentoMojo suffered a data breach. The breach exposed over 2M unique email addresses along with names, phone, passport and Aadhaar numbers, genders, dates of birth, purchases and bcrypt password hashes.
- MEO - 8,227 breached accounts April 24, 2023In early 2023, a corpus of data sourced from the New Zealand based face mask company MEO was discovered. Dating back to December 2020, the data contained over 8k customer records including names, addresses, phone numbers and passwords stored as MD5 Wordpress hashes. MEO did not respond to multiple attempts to report the breach.
- Terravision - 2,075,625 breached accounts April 23, 2023In February 2023, the European airport transfers service Terravision suffered a data breach. The breach exposed over 2M records of customer data including names, phone numbers, email addresses, salted password hashes and in some cases, date of birth and country of origin. Terravision did not respond to multiple attempts by individuals period over a period […]
- OGUsers (2022 breach) - 529,020 breached accounts April 14, 2023In July 2022, the account hijacking and SIM swapping forum OGusers suffered a data breach, the fifth since December 2018. The breach contained usernames, email and IP addresses and passwords stored as argon2 hashes. A total of 529k unique email addresses appeared in the breach.
- The Kodi Foundation - 400,635 breached accounts April 13, 2023In February 2023, The Kodi Foundation suffered a data breach that exposed more than 400k user records. Attributed to an account belonging to "a trusted but currently inactive member of the forum admin team", the breach involved the administrator account creating a database backup that was subsequently downloaded before being sold on a hacking forum. […]
- Sundry Files - 274,461 breached accounts March 31, 2023In January 2022, the now defunct file upload service Sundry Files suffered a data breach that exposed 274k unique email addresses. The data also included usernames, IP addresses and passwords stored as salted SHA-256 hashes.
- Leaked Reality - 114,907 breached accounts March 31, 2023In January 2022, the now defunct uncensored video website Leaked Reality suffered a data breach that exposed 115k unique email addresses. The data also included usernames, IP addresses and passwords stored as either MD5 or phpass hashes.
The Daily Caller
Here’s How The Media Covered Trump’s Fall Versus Biden’sJune 2, 2023The New York Times didn't seem too concerned about raising questions on Biden's health
Police Arrive At West Virginia Home To Serve Warrant, Find Highly Decomposed BodyJune 2, 2023‘They weren’t getting answers at the door, they were noticing a lot of activities at house as far as smells, flies'
‘Much Worse Than Expected’: CNBC Anchor Points Out Key Jobs Data Hinting At Possible RecessionJune 2, 2023Upcoming recession
Biden’s CIA Director — Who Employed CCP Members In Past Gig — Took Secret Trip To China: REPORTJune 2, 2023'Maintaining open lines of communications in intelligence channels'
Here Are The 17 GOP Senators Who Voted For Unlimited SpendingJune 2, 2023‘The legislation passed with 17 Republicans joining 46 Democrats to suspend the debt ceiling until Jan. 2025.‘
Billy Horschel breaks down after shooting 84 at Memorial Tournament, admits confidence is at all-time lowJune 2, 2023A teary-eyed Billy Horschel had little to say after shooting an 84 during the opening round of the Memorial Tournament on Thursday, a tournament he won last year.
Video shows Florida car thief abandoning 2-year-old childJune 2, 2023A suspect in South Florida has been seen on video abandoning a child that was “reported sleeping" in the back seat of a vehicle stolen in Holly Hill.
Miami cop, pregnant woman assaulted man they were both dating: policeJune 2, 2023A Miami-Dade police officer and a pregnant woman were arrested for confronting and beating their two-timing beau at a sports bar, according to records.
Arizona imposes restrictions on new housing development amidst water supply concernJune 2, 2023Arizona Gov. Katie Hobbs has imposed restrictions on new housing development that rely on groundwater amidst concerns over the state's water supply.
Tennessee police officer wounded, suspect shot in exchange of gunfireJune 2, 2023A Tennessee police officer was wounded in an incident in which a suspect was also shot in an exchange of gunfire on Thursday afternoon. The officer was in critical condition.
Pennsylvania man accused of child murders wore GPS monitor from prior shootings during crime, prosecutor saysJune 2, 2023A Pennsylvania man out on bail in two prior shootings is now accused of wearing his ankle monitor to a triple homicide that left two young children dead.
North Carolina Senate proposes controversial measure aimed at enhancing trust in electionsJune 2, 2023North Carolina Senate's GOP has proposed an election measure aimed at enhancing voter trust in election outcomes. Some included provisions have been previously vetoed by Gov. Cooper.
Rain brings hope in battling wildfire in Nova Scotia as evacuations continueJune 2, 2023Rain on Friday brought hope in battling the largest wildfire ever recorded in Nova Scotia as evacuations continue. Air quality alerts have extended to the United States.
Viral myth about guests wearing red to weddings carries scandalous meaning, but is it true?June 2, 2023A viral TikTok video of a filmed discussion on "The Unfiltered Bride" podcast suggests that wedding guests should avoid wearing red because it's associated with an old wives' tale.
LSU star Angel Reese makes appearance in Latto, Cardi B music videoJune 2, 2023The LSU women’s basketball phenomenon added another item to her unprecedented offseason resume when she made a cameo in Latto and Cardi B’s “Put It On Da Floor Again" music video.
Appeals Court invalidates death sentence based on false testimony, paving way for potential retrialJune 2, 2023In a highly uncommon decision, a federal appeals court has reversed the death penalty imposed on a man found guilty of murdering two individuals during a robbery in Fresno back in 1988.
El Salvador President Bukele proposes drastic reduction in municipalities to ease tax burdenJune 2, 2023President Nayib Bukele of El Salvador announced his intention to reduce the number of municipalities in the country from 262 to 44 as a means of relieving the tax burden.
Israeli shooting leaves 3-year-old Palestinian boy critically injured in West BankJune 2, 2023The Israeli military said a Palestinian toddler has been critically wounded in the West Bank during an unintentional shooting late Thursday. The army has opened an investigation.
Denmark launches probe into dissolving Bandidos motorcycle club amidst rising violenceJune 2, 2023Denmark has launched an investigation into dissolving the Bandidos motorcycle club amidst rising violence and criminal activity. The Danish chapter of Bandidos MC was formed in 1993.
National Donut Day: Fascinating and patriotic history behind this delicious observanceJune 2, 2023National Donut Day is turning 85 this year. The day was established in Chicago in 1938 to honor the work of the "Donut Lassies" who served donuts to the troops in WWI.
- Inside the Tent Camp Housing Thousands of Migrant Children – ‘No Place for a Child’
Migrant children and families are sleeping shoulder to shoulder on mats in a Texas border facility designed for 250 people that is now holding more than 4,100, according to some of the first photographs to emerge from the crowded camp that has become a focal point of the Biden administration’s struggles to absorb thousands of […]
- Atl Suspect’s Fixation on Sex Is Familiar Thorn for Evangelicals
“Sex addiction” is not an established psychiatric diagnosis, and there is a debate in the mental health community about how to define and treat compulsive sexual behavior. “There’s no evidence-based treatment for sex addiction,” said Joshua Grubbs, an assistant professor of psychology at Bowling Green State University and a clinical psychologist. Evangelical sex addiction treatment […]
- Tom Cotton Mocks Social Justice Warriors at New York Times in CPAC Speech
Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR) on Friday mocked “social justice warriors” at the New York Times and their “meltdown” this summer over his op-ed in the paper calling for troops to restore order during the rioting at the time. Speaking on the first day of the Conservative Political Action Committee (CPAC) in Orlando, Florida, Cotton recalled how hundreds […]
- Congress Clears 2-Day Spending Extension to Finalize Stimulus Deal
Negotiators worked into Friday night to put the finishing touches on key details of the stimulus compromise, continuing negotiations on how long unemployment benefits should last, how to distribute federal relief for small businesses and the extension of a federal eviction moratorium. The plan was expected to revive the Paycheck Protection Program, a loan program […]
- SACRAMENTO Unemployment Scam Using Inmates Names Costing California Hundreds of Millions
SACRAMENTO — A rash of fraudulent pandemic unemployment claims filed under the names of jail and prison inmates, including more than 100 on death row, has bilked California out of hundreds of millions of dollars, a law enforcement task force said Tuesday. In a letter to Gov. Gavin Newsom, the task force, led by district […]
- Politics, Science and the Remarkable Race for a Corona Vaccine
WASHINGTON — The call was tense, the message discouraging. Moncef Slaoui, the head of the Trump administration’s effort to quickly produce a vaccine for the coronavirus, was on the phone at 6 p.m. on Aug. 25 to tell the upstart biotech firm Moderna that it had to slow the final stage of testing its vaccine […]
- Newsom Do as I Say, Not as I Dine Coronavirus Message
SAN FRANCISCO — It was an intimate meal in a wood-paneled, private dining room in one of California’s most exclusive restaurants. No one around the table wore masks, not the lobbyists, not even the governor. [Sign up for California Today, our daily newsletter from the Golden State.] Photos that surfaced this week of a dinner […]
- Nolte: Washington Post Won’t Return Fake Pulitzer, ‘Stands By’ Russia Reporting
Both the far-left New York Times and Washington Post refuse to return Pulitzers for spreading the lie former President Trump colluded with Russia to win the 2016 presidential election. Would Hitler return a fake Pulitzer? Now that the Monday release of the Durham Report has debunked every facet of the Russia Collusion allegation and proved […]
- Donald Trump Shreds ‘Fake News Media’ in Series of Videos: ‘Not Reporting with Credibility Has Its Consequences’
Former President Donald Trump shredded the New York Times, the Washington Post, CNN, and MSNBC as “fake news media” in a series of videos shared to his Truth Social account and his campaign’s war room Twitter account on Wednesday. “The fake news media like CNN, MSDNC – which is sometimes referred to as MSNBC –the […]
- Media Ignore Physical Attack on Republican Gen. Don Bolduc
The establishment media have ignored the physical attack against Republican New Hampshire candidate Gen. Don Bolduc. The three top establishment newspapers, the New York Times, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times, all failed to report the physical attack on Gen. Bolduc that occurred moments before Wednesday’s debate with Democrat Maggie Hassan (D-NH). The media’s decision […]
- Sex Offender Thanks Ketanji Brown Jackson for Three-Month Prison Sentence: ‘She Knew This Was Going to Hold Me Back … So She Didn’t Really Want to Add on to That’
The registered sex offender who was given three months in prison by Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson, nominated for the Supreme Court by President Joe Biden, is speaking out and seemingly thanking the judge for her lenient sentence in his case. In 2013, Jackson sentenced then-19-year-old Wesley Hawkins to three months in prison, three months of […]
- 15 Media Personalities Claimed Hunter’s Laptop Emails Were Likely Russian Propaganda Before New York Times Admitted
Fifteen establishment media personalities claimed Hunter Biden’s laptop emails were likely Russian propaganda before the New York Times admitted it Wednesday. After nearly two years of dismissing Hunter’s tantalizing emails uncovered before the 2020 presidential election, the Times admitted the laptop was authentic, in direct contradiction of many in the Democrat-allied media. The media personalities seemingly went […]
- Covington Teen Nicholas Sandmann Settles $275 Million Defamation Lawsuit with NBC
Covington Catholic High School student Nicholas Sandmann announced Friday that he settled a $275 million defamation lawsuit against NBC. Neither party publicized the terms of the settlement. However, Sandmann asked for $275 million in damages in his lawsuit against NBC Universal and MSNBC. “At this time I would like to release that NBC and I […]
- Washington Post Columnist Calls on CNN to Correct Its Dossier Reporting — After WaPo Corrects Its Own
A Washington Post columnist criticized CNN for not correcting its reporting that the dossier put together by Fusion GPS and ex-British spy Christopher Steele — which claimed the Trump campaign was colluding with Russia — was “corroborated.” The paper’s media critic, Erik Wemple, wrote Friday that CNN hosts and reporters had long-claimed the Steele dossier had […]
Dozens reported dead after India train crash - BBCJune 2, 2023
Nova Scotia: Why are wildfires raging in Canada's eastern province? - Reuters CanadaJune 2, 2023
Debt ceiling deal advances pipeline and tweaks environmental rules. But more work remains. - The Associated PressJune 2, 2023
Mexico police find 45 bags containing body parts ‘matching characteristics’ of missing call center staff - CNNJune 2, 2023
See images from the first Mars live stream - CNNJune 2, 2023
Exclusive: Trump attorneys haven’t found classified document former president referred to on tape following subpoena - CNNJune 2, 2023
Arizona sets limits on construction around Phoenix as groundwater dwindles - CNBCJune 2, 2023
States sue 3M, DuPont over toxic 'forever chemicals' found in drinking water - CNBCJune 2, 2023
DOJ closes Pence classified documents probe - POLITICO - POLITICOJune 2, 2023
Senate Passes Debt Limit Bill, Staving Off a Calamitous Default - The New York TimesJune 2, 2023
Here are the changes to SNAP in debt ceiling bill, including work requirements - NPRJune 2, 2023
A driver's car soared 120 feet after vaulting off of a tow truck's ramp in Georgia - NPRJune 2, 2023
A Sweetheart Deal for the Sacklers: Billionaires Get Immunity from Civil Lawsuits over Opioid Crisis - Democracy Now!June 2, 2023
Here’s who would have to work for government benefits – and who wouldn’t – under the debt ceiling package - CNNJune 2, 2023
US Army renames Fort Bragg as Fort Liberty - CNNJune 2, 2023