FDA Puts Strict Limits on Johnson and Johnson Vaccine Due to Blood Clots
May 6, 2022 11:33 am
Tags: &, Administration, and, blood, Breitbart, clots, Coronavirus, coronavirus vaccine, drug, due, FDA, Food, Health, Johnson, Johnson & Johnson vaccine, joshwho, limits, Moderna, News, Pfizer, puts, Science, strict, U.S., U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Vaccine
Categories: Breitbart News coronavirus vaccine FDA Health Johnson & Johnson vaccine JoshWho News Moderna Pfizer Science U.S. Food and Drug Administration
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) ruled on Thursday to limit the authorized use of the Johnson & Johnson (J&J) coronavirus vaccine to individuals who cannot receive other vaccines or for whom other vaccines are not accessible.
The Johnson & Johnson vaccine has been plagued with controversy since its rollout with multiple reported cases of rare blood clots. On Thursday, the FDA confirmed these reports while stopping short of pulling the J&J vaccine altogether. The administration still highly recommends the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.
“If there’s an alternative that appears to be equally effective in preventing severe outcomes from COVID-19, we’d rather see people opting for that,” FDA’s vaccine chief Dr. Peter Marks said. “But we’ve been careful to say that–compared to no vaccine–this is still a better option.”
Marks said that blood clots from the J&J vaccine typically happen within two weeks of receiving the shot, and that people who previously received the vaccine have little to worry about.
“So if you had the vaccine six months ago you can sleep soundly tonight knowing this isn’t an issue,” he said.
As noted by the Associated Press, the J&J vaccine was first approved in February of 2021 and was hailed as a valuable tool to combat the coronavirus pandemic as a one-time dose vaccine compared to the two-dose Moderna and Pfizer vaccines spaced 4 and 3 weeks apart, respectively. However, reports of blood clots eventually saddled the vaccine’s reputation and the alternative vaccines–Moderna and Pfizer–became the primary shots the CDC recommended. That recommendation came in December.
Per the AP:
As of mid-March, federal scientists had identified 60 cases of the side effect, including nine that were fatal. That amounts to 3.23 blood clot cases per 1 million J&J shots. The problem is more common in women under 50, where the death rate was roughly 1 per million shots, according to Marks.
Marks said the FDA spent extra time analyzing the problem to be sure it wasn’t connected to a separate issue, such as women taking birth control medications that raise their risk of clotting. The J&J vaccine will carry a starker warning about potential “long-term and debilitating health consequences” of the side effect.
Despite the warnings and restrictions, the J&J vaccine may still be administered to Americans who specifically request it or to Americans who may have had a severe reaction to the other vaccines and cannot receive a second dose. A J&J spokesman said that the company’s vaccine is still better than no vaccine.
“Data continue to support a favorable benefit-risk profile for the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine in adults, when compared with no vaccine,” said the spokesman.
- Continuing Jobless Claims Hit 10-Month Highs As Layoffs Exploded In November December 1, 2022
- Schiff: Fed Soft Pivot In Play; Markets Ignore Powell’s Hawkish Talk December 1, 2022
- Fed’s Favorite Inflation Signal Dips (Holds Near 40 Year Highs) As Savings Rate Crashed December 1, 2022
- Biden Admin Pledges $53 Million To Help Restore Ukraine’s Damaged Power Grid December 1, 2022
- EU Threatens Musk With Twitter Ban Over Content Moderation December 1, 2022
- ‘Operation Pelican’: Details Of UK’s Secret Op To Seize Assange Revealed December 1, 2022
- Miami Nightclubs Are Starting To Miss Rich Crypto Nerds November 30, 2022
- Escobar: The Global South Births A New Game-Changing Payments System November 30, 2022
- Number Of Handgun Owners Carrying Daily Nearly Doubles In US November 30, 2022
- D.C. Think Tank Urges America To “Invest” In Zelensky’s $1 Trillion Reconstruction Plan November 30, 2022
- Texas Parent Shocks School Board With Graphic Library Books November 30, 2022
- “Crypto Bros” Dump G-Wagons And McLarens Amid Digital Asset Bust November 30, 2022
- Fact Check: Karine Jean-Pierre Falsely Claims Biden Has Visited Border November 30, 2022
- White House Laughs Off Kevin McCarthy’s Invitation to Joe Biden to Visit Southern Border November 30, 2022
- GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy Confident About Speaker Vote: ‘We’ll Get There’ Even If Multiple Ballots Are Needed November 30, 2022
- South Korea Scrambles Jets To Warn Off Inbound Chinese-Russian Joint Bomber Patrol November 30, 2022
- Wall Street Reacts To Powell’s Dovish Speech As Markets Explode Higher November 30, 2022
- “We’re In For A Really Big Mess” – Charles Nenner Warns “War Cycle To Really Heat Up In 2023” November 30, 2022
- Bombing At Ukrainian Embassy In Madrid Has Diplomats On High Alert November 30, 2022
- Biden Admin Approves $1 Billion Arms Sale To Qatar During World Cup November 30, 2022
- Not Acxiom (unverified) - 51,730,831 breached accounts November 22, 2022In 2020, a corpus of data containing almost a quarter of a billion records spanning over 400 different fields was misattributed to database marketing company Acxiom and subsequently circulated within the hacking community. On review, Acxiom concluded that "the claims are indeed false and that the data, which has been readily available across multiple environments, […]
- GGCorp - 2,376,330 breached accounts November 8, 2022In August 2022, the MMORPG website GGCorp suffered a data breach that exposed almost 2.4M unique email addresses. The data also included IP addresses, usernames and MD5 password hashes.
- Lolzteam - 398,011 breached accounts November 6, 2022In May 2018, the Russian hacking forum Lolzteam suffered a data breach that exposed 400k members. The impacted data included usernames and email addresses which were later redistributed via another hacking forum. The data was provided to HIBP by a source who requested it be attributed to "ZAN @ BF".
- Doomworld - 34,478 breached accounts October 24, 2022In October 2022, the Doomworld fourm suffered a data breach that exposed 34k member records. The data included email and IP addresses, usernames and bcrypt password hashes.
- E-Pal - 108,887 breached accounts October 24, 2022In October 2022, the service dedicated to finding friends on Discord known as E-Pal disclosed a data breach. The compromised data included over 100k unique email addresses and usernames spanning approximately 1M orders. The data was subsequently distributed via a popular hacking forum.
- Wakanim - 6,706,951 breached accounts October 6, 2022In August 2022, the European streaming service Wakanim suffered a data breach which was subsequently advertised and sold on a popular hacking forum. The breach exposed 6.7M customer records including email, IP and physical addresses, names and usernames.
- Bhinneka - 1,274,340 breached accounts October 6, 2022In early 2020, the Indonesian consumer electronics website Bhinneka suffered a data breach that exposed almost 1.3M customer records. The data included email and physical addresses, names, genders, dates of birth, phone numbers and salted password hashes.
- TAP Air Portugal - 5,067,990 breached accounts September 23, 2022In August 2022, the Portuguese airline TAP Air Portugal was the target of a ransomware attack perpetrated by the Ragnar Locker gang who later leaked the compromised data via a public dark web site. Over 5M unique email addresses were exposed alongside other personal data including names, genders, DoBs, phone numbers and physical addresses.
- Brand New Tube - 349,627 breached accounts September 8, 2022In August 2022, the streaming website Brand New Tube suffered a data breach that exposed the personal information of almost 350k subscribers. The impacted data included email and IP addresses, usernames, genders, passwords stored as unsalted SHA-1 hashes and private messages.
- START - 7,455,386 breached accounts August 30, 2022In August 2022, news broke of an attack against the Russian streaming service "START". The incident led to the exposure of 44M records containing 7.4M unique email addresses. The impacted data also included the subscriber's country and password hash. START subsequently acknowledged the incident in a Telegram post and stated that the data dated back […]