Despite Strict Gun Control, California Had The Most Active Shooter Incidents In 2021: FBI
August 6, 2022 9:57 pm
Tags: 2021, active,, California, control, despite, FBI, Gun, had, incidents, joshwho, Media, most, News, shooter, strict, the, ZeroHedge
Categories: JoshWho News news media US News ZeroHedge
In a report issued by the FBI, California ranked first for the most active shooter incidents in 2021. The state has been in the top spot in three of the past five years.
According to the study, a total of 61 active shooter incidents occurred across 30 states last year with 103 people killed and 140 wounded. This is up from 40 incidents and 38 killed in 2020.
California had 6 incidents that claimed the lives of 19 people with 9 wounded. Texas and Georgia each had 5.
California, which has some of the strictest gun laws, saw 0.015 shootings per 100,000 people. Texas, which has very unrestrictive state gun laws, had nearly the same at 0.0167 per 100,000 people. Georgia had 0.045 per 100,000 people.
Criminal attorney Arash Hashemi told NTD, a sister outlet of The Epoch Times, that in his opinion there’s no easy answer to how gun laws should be handled.
“We need both sides to sit down and listen to what’s going on. I know one side says we need to ban guns, one side said there would be no regulation. But there needs to be a meeting of the minds in the middle,” Hashemi said.
California is moving ahead to implement more gun restrictions. The new state Senate Bill 918, which is currently on its way through the legislature, would ban the carrying of guns in most public areas, regardless of whether someone has a carry license or not.
However Hashemi suggested a slightly different approach. He said the Second Amendment can’t be violated, but he thinks certain people should be restricted from owning a firearm.
“I think California needs to implement these background checks but at the same time make sure they don’t infringe on people’s rights to bear arms,” Hashemi said.
He said vetting gun buyers for red flags like mental illness or psychiatric medication is important.
He added that the importance of the Second Amendment is to give the civilians of the United States a check on the government.
The greatest number of casualties and injuries at an active shooter incident in 2021 was 15, at both a FedEx center in Indiana and a Kroger grocery store in Tennessee.
June had the most with 12, and December had the least with 1.
The FBI defines an active shooter as one or more people engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a populated area. The 2021 report is limited to these incidents and does not include other gun-related situations like self-defense, drug violence, or gang violence.
- US Ban On Pot Users Owning Guns Ruled Unconstitutional February 5, 2023
- “Confidential Letters”: FTX Demands Politicians Return Millions In SBF Donations February 5, 2023
- Mission Accomplished! February 5, 2023
- Italy’s Internet Restored After Nationwide Outage; Reports Of Global Ransomware Attack February 5, 2023
- A Return To ‘Head-Smacking Craziness’? Hedge Fund Billionaire Singer Warns ‘Bear Market Is Not Over Yet’ February 5, 2023
- The Long-Term Negative Effects Of ESG Will Be Catastrophic February 5, 2023
- Poll: Trump Takes Lead over Biden on Eve of State of the Union Address February 5, 2023
- China Reacts With “Strong Dissatisfaction” After US Shot Down Spy Balloon February 5, 2023
- GOP Rep. Turner: Biden Allowed Chinese Balloon to ‘Complete it’s Mission’ February 5, 2023
- Biden Administration’s Climate Agenda Will Damage Two-Thirds Of US Retirement Accounts: Kobach February 5, 2023
- Ford Sold Almost All Of Its Stake In Rivian Last Year February 5, 2023
- Rubio: Biden’s Failure to Address the Nation on Chinese Balloon ‘Beginning of Dereliction of Duty’ February 5, 2023
- UK’s “Nudge Unit” Pushes Various Online PsyOps When People Shop To Build “Net Zero Society” February 5, 2023
- Prepping For War? Chinese Spy Balloon Belies Much Larger Economic Warning Signs February 5, 2023
- Australia Becomes 1st Country To Legalize Therapeutic Use Of MDMA & Psilocybin February 4, 2023
- Everything You Need To Know About The Lab Leak (But Were Not Allowed To Ask) February 4, 2023
- Theater Of The Absurd In J6 Courtrooms February 4, 2023
- The Chinese ‘Spy Balloon’ Story As Manufactured Crisis: An Alternative Reading February 4, 2023
- Gun Background-Checks Reveal Firearms Demand Slumped After COVID Mania February 4, 2023
- DeSantis Admin Revoking Liquor License From Orlando Venue For Allowing Children At ‘Drag Queen Christmas’ February 4, 2023
- Truth Finder - 8,159,573 breached accounts February 4, 2023In 2019, the public records search service TruthFinder suffered a data breach that later came to light in early 2023. The data included over 8M unique customer email addresses, names, phone numbers and passwords stored as scrypt hashes.
- Instant Checkmate - 11,943,887 breached accounts February 4, 2023In 2019, the public records search service Instant Checkmate suffered a data breach that later came to light in early 2023. The data included almost 12M unique customer email addresses, names, phone numbers and passwords stored as scrypt hashes.
- School District 42 - 18,850 breached accounts February 2, 2023In January 2023, Pitt Meadows School District 42 in British Columbia suffered a data breach. The incident exposed the names and email addresses of approximately 19k students and staff which were consequently redistributed on a popular hacking forum.
- Planet Ice - 240,488 breached accounts January 31, 2023In January 2023, the UK-based ice skating rink booking service Planet Ice suffered a data breach. The incident exposed the personal data of 240k people including email and physical addresses, phone numbers, genders, dates of birth and passwords stored as MD5 hashes. The data also included the names, genders and dates of birth of children […]
- KomplettFritid - 139,401 breached accounts January 23, 2023In January 2023, the online Norwegian store KomplettFritid was reported as having had a data breach dating back to February 2021. The incident exposed 140k customer records including physical, email and IP addresses, names, phone numbers and passwords. Most passwords were stored as bcrypt hashes with a small number appearing in plain text.
- Autotrader - 20,032 breached accounts January 23, 2023In January 2023, 1.4M records from the Autotrader online vehicle marketplace appeared on a popular hacking forum. Autotrader stated that the "data in question relates to aged listing data that was generally publicly available on our site at the time and open to automated collection methods". The data contained 20k unique email addresses alongside physical […]
- Zurich - 756,737 breached accounts January 22, 2023In January 2023, the Japanese arm of Zurich insurance suffered a data breach that exposed 2.6M customer records with over 756k unique email addresses. The data was subsequently posted to a popular hacking forum and also included names, genders, dates of birth and details of insured vehicles. The data was provided to HIBP by a […]
- DoorDash - 367,476 breached accounts January 7, 2023In August 2022, the food ordering and delivery service DoorDash disclosed a data breach that impacted a portion of their customers. DoorDash attributed the breach to an unnamed "third-party vendor" they stated was the victim of a phishing campaign. The incident exposed 367k unique personal email addresses alongside names, post codes and partial card data, […]
- SlideTeam - 1,464,271 breached accounts January 7, 2023In April 2021, the "world’s largest collection of pre-designed presentation slides" SlideTeam had 1.4M records breached and later published to a popular hacking forum the following year. Allegedly sourced from a compromised Magento instance, the data included names, email addresses and passwords stored as salted hashes.
- Twitter (200M) - 211,524,284 breached accounts January 5, 2023In early 2023, over 200M records scraped from Twitter appeared on a popular hacking forum. The data was obtained sometime in 2021 by abusing an API that enabled email addresses to be resolved to Twitter profiles. The subsequent results were then composed into a corpus of data containing email addresses alongside public Twitter profile information […]