British Health Secretary Says “Sex Matters” After NHS Removes “Women” From Cancer Guidance
June 10, 2022 1:20 am
Tags: #british, after, Cancer, from, guidance,, Health, joshwho, matters”, Media, News, NHS, removes, says, secretary, sex, Women, ZeroHedge
Categories: JoshWho News news media US News ZeroHedge
Health Secretary Savid Javid has said that the word “women” should not be removed from ovarian cancer guidance, after it was found that the NHS had “desexed” some of its main sites on female medical conditions, by using “inclusive” gender-neutral language that excludes the words “female” and “women.”
The health secretary told Sky News, “You won’t be surprised to know that as a health secretary, I think that your sex matters, your biological sex is incredibly important to make sure you get the right treatment, the very best treatment.”
The Times of London reported on Tuesday that the main NHS web pages on ovarian, womb, and cervical cancers no longer referred to women on some of the main pages.
For example, the womb cancer page used to say that “cancer of the womb (uterine or endometrial cancer) is a common cancer that affects the female reproductive system. It’s more common in women who have been through the menopause.”
Now it says that “most womb cancer usually starts in the lining of the womb (endometrium), this is also known as endometrial cancer.”
For the ovarian cancer page, the site used to say that “ovarian cancer mainly affects women who have been through the menopause (usually over the age of 50), but it can sometimes affect younger women.”
Now the guidance says that “ovarian cancer affects the 2 small organs (ovaries) that store the eggs needed to make babies. Anyone with ovaries can get ovarian cancer, but it mostly affects those over 50.”
Javid said that he hadn’t seen the Times of London report. “Well, look, I haven’t seen that particular report, but I have heard of instances like that and I don’t think it’s right,” he said.
He added that he was “looking into this” and used prostate cancer as an example of a disease that can only affect “those that are biologically male” and that it was “important to talk about women when talking about cervical cancer … so people know what you are talking about.”
“It’s important that when messaging is given to people for cancers that words like women and men are used,” Javid said.
“There are many different trusts and I want to listen to why someone might have taken a different approach, I don’t just want to assume, but I think I’ve made my views clear on this,” he said.
He added, “I know there’s some sensitivity around this language, but we have to use common sense and use the right language so that we can give people the best possible patient care.”
A spokeswoman for NHS Digital told The Times of London on Tuesday: “It is not correct to say that there is no mention of women on the ovarian, womb, and cervical cancer pages. We have updated the pages as part of our routine review of web pages to keep them in line with the best clinical evidence, and make them as helpful as possible to everyone who needs them.”
- UK Summons Chinese Ambassador Over Beating Of BBC Journalist December 2, 2022
- November Payrolls Preview: A Miss Will Be Good For Stocks But A Huge Miss Means Recession December 2, 2022
- America To Unveil World’s First Sixth-Generation Bomber Friday December 1, 2022
- Why Is Booz Allen Renting Us Back Our Own National Parks? December 1, 2022
- Congress Adds $45 Billion To 2023 Military Budget December 1, 2022
- San Francisco Approves Lethal Police Robots After ‘Unhinged’ Board Of Supervisors Hearing December 1, 2022
- White House “Isn’t Taking A Side” On Cause Of Anti-Lockdown Protests In China December 1, 2022
- Lava Flows From Mauna Loa Volcano Could Reach Major Hawaii Highway “In Days” December 1, 2022
- This Is Of Course Insane December 1, 2022
- Here Are The Best And Worst Performing Assets In November And YTD December 1, 2022
- Railroaders Say Morale, Quality-Of-Life At All-Time Low December 1, 2022
- GOP Senators Say They Will Block Military Funding Unless Vaccine Mandate Scrapped December 1, 2022
- Court Rejects Joe Biden Push to Remove Block on Student Debt Transfer Program December 1, 2022
- Continuing Jobless Claims Hit 10-Month Highs As Layoffs Exploded In November December 1, 2022
- Schiff: Fed Soft Pivot In Play; Markets Ignore Powell’s Hawkish Talk December 1, 2022
- Fed’s Favorite Inflation Signal Dips (Holds Near 40 Year Highs) As Savings Rate Crashed December 1, 2022
- EU Threatens to Ban Twitter Over Elon Musk’s Free Speech Plans December 1, 2022
- Biden Admin Pledges $53 Million To Help Restore Ukraine’s Damaged Power Grid December 1, 2022
- EU Threatens Musk With Twitter Ban Over Content Moderation December 1, 2022
- ‘Operation Pelican’: Details Of UK’s Secret Op To Seize Assange Revealed December 1, 2022
- Not Acxiom (unverified) - 51,730,831 breached accounts November 22, 2022In 2020, a corpus of data containing almost a quarter of a billion records spanning over 400 different fields was misattributed to database marketing company Acxiom and subsequently circulated within the hacking community. On review, Acxiom concluded that "the claims are indeed false and that the data, which has been readily available across multiple environments, […]
- GGCorp - 2,376,330 breached accounts November 8, 2022In August 2022, the MMORPG website GGCorp suffered a data breach that exposed almost 2.4M unique email addresses. The data also included IP addresses, usernames and MD5 password hashes.
- Lolzteam - 398,011 breached accounts November 6, 2022In May 2018, the Russian hacking forum Lolzteam suffered a data breach that exposed 400k members. The impacted data included usernames and email addresses which were later redistributed via another hacking forum. The data was provided to HIBP by a source who requested it be attributed to "ZAN @ BF".
- Doomworld - 34,478 breached accounts October 24, 2022In October 2022, the Doomworld fourm suffered a data breach that exposed 34k member records. The data included email and IP addresses, usernames and bcrypt password hashes.
- E-Pal - 108,887 breached accounts October 24, 2022In October 2022, the service dedicated to finding friends on Discord known as E-Pal disclosed a data breach. The compromised data included over 100k unique email addresses and usernames spanning approximately 1M orders. The data was subsequently distributed via a popular hacking forum.
- Wakanim - 6,706,951 breached accounts October 6, 2022In August 2022, the European streaming service Wakanim suffered a data breach which was subsequently advertised and sold on a popular hacking forum. The breach exposed 6.7M customer records including email, IP and physical addresses, names and usernames.
- Bhinneka - 1,274,340 breached accounts October 6, 2022In early 2020, the Indonesian consumer electronics website Bhinneka suffered a data breach that exposed almost 1.3M customer records. The data included email and physical addresses, names, genders, dates of birth, phone numbers and salted password hashes.
- TAP Air Portugal - 5,067,990 breached accounts September 23, 2022In August 2022, the Portuguese airline TAP Air Portugal was the target of a ransomware attack perpetrated by the Ragnar Locker gang who later leaked the compromised data via a public dark web site. Over 5M unique email addresses were exposed alongside other personal data including names, genders, DoBs, phone numbers and physical addresses.
- Brand New Tube - 349,627 breached accounts September 8, 2022In August 2022, the streaming website Brand New Tube suffered a data breach that exposed the personal information of almost 350k subscribers. The impacted data included email and IP addresses, usernames, genders, passwords stored as unsalted SHA-1 hashes and private messages.
- START - 7,455,386 breached accounts August 30, 2022In August 2022, news broke of an attack against the Russian streaming service "START". The incident led to the exposure of 44M records containing 7.4M unique email addresses. The impacted data also included the subscriber's country and password hash. START subsequently acknowledged the incident in a Telegram post and stated that the data dated back […]