Atl Suspect’s Fixation on Sex Is Familiar Thorn for Evangelicals
March 20, 2021 5:00 pm
Tags: Addiction (Psychology), Atlanta Spa Shootings (2021), Christians and Christianity, Evangelical Movement, Long, Pornography, Robert Aaron, sex
Categories: Addiction (Psychology) Atlanta Spa Shootings (2021) Christians and Christianity Evangelical Movement JoshWho News Long, Robert Aaron nyt Pornography sex US US News
“Sex addiction” is not an established psychiatric diagnosis, and there is a debate in the mental health community about how to define and treat compulsive sexual behavior.
“There’s no evidence-based treatment for sex addiction,” said Joshua Grubbs, an assistant professor of psychology at Bowling Green State University and a clinical psychologist. Evangelical sex addiction treatment tends to emphasize total abstinence from any sexual behavior outside heterosexual marriage. “They don’t take into account that humans are creatures with a drive for sex,” Dr. Grubbs said.
Mr. Long and his family were active members at Crabapple First Baptist Church in Milton, Ga., which is affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention. In the church’s youth group for high school students, Mr. Long was “one of those core young men involved in everything we did,” said Brett Cottrell, a former youth and missions pastor at the church.
In November, an associate pastor at the church, Luke Folsom, preached a sermon on the “battle” against sin. He quoted a verse from the Gospel of Matthew, in which Jesus tells his followers that it may be worth gouging out an eye if it causes them to sin.
He continued, addressing the use of pornography directly. “Cut it out by getting rid of your smartphone, getting rid of internet connection, anything and everything that would allow you to do it,” he said. “Your soul is at stake.”
Lust, he added, is “a heart problem, not just an eye problem.”
The church, which declined a request for an interview with its leaders, issued a statement on Friday that condemned the violence at the Atlanta-area spas, as well as the suspect’s “stated reasons for carrying out this wicked plan.”
The church also emphasized that the gunman alone was to blame for his actions. “The women that he solicited for sexual acts are not responsible for his perverse sexual desires nor do they bear any blame in these murders,” the church stated. “These actions are the result of a sinful heart and depraved mind.”
- “2023 Will Be Year From Hell” – Martin Armstrong Warns Europe ‘Could Suck The Rest Of The World Down The Tubes’ October 2, 2022
- VPN Usage Surges Amid Protests, Conflict, & War In 2022 October 2, 2022
- Gold & Geopolitics October 2, 2022
- Labour Opens Up Massive Lead In UK Polls October 2, 2022
- The War Has Just Begun October 2, 2022
- Cajun Navy Assisting with Hurricane Ian Rescue Efforts in Florida October 1, 2022
- Federal Judge Rules Against Stacey Abrams-Backed Group, Upholds 2018 Georgia Voting Law October 1, 2022
- Kristina Karamo: MAGA Movement ‘Will Unite Americans Across All Different Demographics’ October 1, 2022
- A Global Overview of Human Migration October 1, 2022
- Firearm Background-Checks Now Report Home Addresses Of Gun Owners October 1, 2022
- Democrat Lawmaker Calls for ‘New Leaders’ Within Own Party After Stock Trade Ban Vote Stalls October 1, 2022
- Visualizing The Global Wealth Pyramid October 1, 2022
- Navy Attempting To Remove Sailor Who Refused Vaccine Under ‘Pretext’ Of Attempted Desertion: Attorney October 1, 2022
- ‘Range Anxiety’ – How Far Can An EV Go On One Charge? October 1, 2022
- FBI Singles Out Conservative Agents In ‘Purge,’ Retaliates Against Whistleblowers: GOP Lawmakers October 1, 2022
- The Growing Global Reliance On Antidepressants October 1, 2022
- WATCH LIVE: Former President Donald Trump Holding ‘Save America’ Rally in Warren, Michigan October 1, 2022
- Malone: Human Cyborgs Are Just The Beginning October 1, 2022
- Senate GOP Judiciary Committee To Investigate ‘Excessive’ FBI Raid Of Pennsylvania Pro-Life Activist’s Home October 1, 2022
- Visualizing The World’s Population At 8 Billion October 1, 2022
- TAP Air Portugal - 5,067,990 breached accounts September 23, 2022In August 2022, the Portuguese airline TAP Air Portugal was the target of a ransomware attack perpetrated by the Ragnar Locker gang who later leaked the compromised data via a public dark web site. Over 5M unique email addresses were exposed alongside other personal data including names, genders, DoBs, phone numbers and physical addresses.
- Brand New Tube - 349,627 breached accounts September 8, 2022In August 2022, the streaming website Brand New Tube suffered a data breach that exposed the personal information of almost 350k subscribers. The impacted data included email and IP addresses, usernames, genders, passwords stored as unsalted SHA-1 hashes and private messages.
- START - 7,455,386 breached accounts August 30, 2022In August 2022, news broke of an attack against the Russian streaming service "START". The incident led to the exposure of 44M records containing 7.4M unique email addresses. The impacted data also included the subscriber's country and password hash. START subsequently acknowledged the incident in a Telegram post and stated that the data dated back […]
- Banorte - 2,107,000 breached accounts August 18, 2022In August 2022, millions of records from Mexican bank "Banorte" were publicly dumped on a popular hacking forum including 2.1M unique email addresses, physical addresses, names, phone numbers, RFC (tax) numbers, genders and bank balances. Banorte have stated that the data is "outdated", although have not yet indicated how far back it dates to. Anecdotal […]
- SitePoint - 1,021,790 breached accounts August 17, 2022In June 2020, the web development site SitePoint suffered a data breach that exposed over 1M customer records. Impacted data included email and IP addresses, names, usernames, bios and passwords stored as bcrypt hashes.
- Twitter - 6,682,453 breached accounts August 13, 2022In January 2022, a vulnerability in Twitter's platform allowed an attacker to build a database of the email addresses and phone numbers of millions of users of the social platform. In a disclosure notice later shared in August 2022, Twitter advised that the vulnerability was related to a bug introduced in June 2021 and that […]
- QuestionPro - 22,229,637 breached accounts August 5, 2022In May 2022, the survey website QuestionPro was the target of an extortion attempt relating to an alleged data breach. Over 100GB of data containing 22M unique email addresses (some of which appear to be generated by the platform), are alleged to have been extracted from the service along with IP addresses, browser user agents […]
- Tuned Global - 985,586 breached accounts August 3, 2022In January 2021, data from a number of breached services including Tuned Global were released to a public hacking forum. The breach appears to date back to 2016 and includes 985k records containing email addresses, names, a small number of physical addresses and phone numbers and passwords stored in plain text.
- Mecho Download - 437,928 breached accounts August 2, 2022In October 2013, the (now defunct) downloads website "Mecho Download" suffered a data breach that exposed 438k records. Data from the vBulletin based website included email and IP addresses, usernames and passwords stored as salted MD5 hashes.
- Battlefy - 83,610 breached accounts July 29, 2022In January 2016, the esports website Battlefy suffered a data breach that exposed 83k customer records. The impacted data included email addresses, usernames and passwords stored as bcrypt hashes.